New York – In what is easily the most ironic press event of the worldwide coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic, disgraced Chevron Ecuador attorney Steven Donziger appealed to be released from house arrest during New York City’s “Shelter in Place” regulations.
Who demands to go outside when there is a shelter in place for everyone’s protection from coronavirus? Here’s the latest weird twist in the strange tale of the Bernard Madoff-want-to-be Steven Donziger.
Donziger is locked up in his NYC apartment after he failed to obey a judge’s order to not continue profiting from his fraudulent attempt to steal billions of dollars from Chevron in a fake lawsuit in Ecuador. He was sentenced by the court to house arrest on criminal contempt charges.
Joined by a group of Nobel Prize winners who were also calling for his release from house arrest, Donziger held an online press conference demanding his freedom.
Adding to the irony of the press event was Hollywood actor, rage-a-holic and homophobe Alec Baldwin, who attacked Chevron for pursing its case of fraud against Donziger. Baldwin lashed out at Chevron, using the name of his old Hollywood friend convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein, with whom he is pictured in this story.
Donziger, as reported in Hot Air, has found a new set of friends to speak up on his behalf. A group of thirty Nobel Prize winners has penned an open letter calling for his release from home detention, praising him as a hero for his groundbreaking advocacy or something.
How Donziger managed to round up this crew of Nobel Prize winners to plead his case is something of a mystery. One court after another has found that what he attempted in Ecuador was a complete and total fraud, with a corrupt judge inventing “evidence” out of whole cloth to make the case against Chevron. Everyone involved had their hands out, waiting for their cut of the nearly $10 billion dollar settlement that they expected Chevron to fork over. Donziger was even selling shares of the expected loot to cover all of the legal costs he ran up in an effort to pull this off. Those people and offices have all since relinquished their share of the prize… to Chevron.
Donziger’s claim this month is that he’s experiencing “retaliation” for his self-proclaimed “effective and successful advocacy for these communities.” That’s another irony since the only people he was advocating for were his shareholders and himself. And none of these questions address the fact that it was Ecuador’s state-run oil company who continued to pollute the land in question long after Texaco (which was later purchased by Chevron) had pulled out and been given a clean, legal bill of health for having cleaned up the sites where they had been drilling.
Just to be fair to both sides here, there is one element of this ongoing legal saga that is at least unusual, if still legal.
Back when Judge Lewis Kaplan was accusing Donziger of failing to comply with the court’s orders, he turned the issue over to federal prosecutors at the U.S. Attorney’s office in Manhattan. For some reason, they declined to prosecute him on the criminal contempt charges, so Kaplan took matters into his own hands and drafted the charges himself. But that only dealt with the criminal contempt charges, not the larger questions of the fraudulent lawsuit.
Donziger has been disbarred everywhere he was once licensed to practice law. His fraudulent scheme has been exposed for the world to see. But somehow there’s an international collection of Nobel Prize winners taking up his cause. Reading some of their statements, the reason begins to come clear. These are environmentalist advocates who hate Chevron for being in the oil and gas business. They mention Chevron far more often than they do Donziger. And they just don’t want to see a fossil fuel giant like Chevron come away with a win.
Sad to see a once legitimate environmental organization, AmazonWatch, which sponsored the Donziger online press conference, sink even deeper into his fraud. Who would give any money to AmazonWatch after they knowingly support a fraud like Donziger? Perhaps the same Nobel Prize Winners who got duped by him as well.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Dallas Cowboys vs New England Patriots Highlights 2nd – Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 17,2021 October 17, 2021
- LIVE Broncos vs Raiders Live – Denver Broncos VS. Las Vegas Raiders Live October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Highlights 2nd Qtr | Week 6 | NFL Season 2021-22 October 17, 2021
- Dallas Cowboys vs. New England Patriots | Cowboys vs. Patriots 2021 NFL Game Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Purdue vs #2 Iowa Football Game Highlights 10 16 2021 October 17, 2021
- Robert Pattinson’s Batmobile Will Be Way Different Than Before October 17, 2021
- Batman | The Batmobile Documentary Livestream | Warner Bros. Entertainment October 17, 2021
- Dallas Cowboys vs New England Patriots Highlights | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 17,2021 October 17, 2021
- Cleveland Browns vs. Arizona Cardinals Highlights 2nd – QTR | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 17,2021 October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Playing With Heart And Passion And Faster By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Dallas Cowboys vs New England Patriots Full Highligh 2nd Quarter | NFL Week 6, 2021 October 17, 2021
- Dallas Cowboys vs New England Patriots Highlights 2nd Qtr | Week 6 | NFL Season 2021-22 October 17, 2021
- Aaron Rodgers’ Best Plays from 3-TD Game vs. Bears | NFL 2021 Highlights October 17, 2021
- Dallas Cowboys vs New England Patriots Highlights 1st Qtr | Week 6 | NFL Season 2021-22 October 17, 2021
- Raiders Go Back To Classic Al Davis Passing With Carr TD Pass To Kenyon Drake October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Highlights HD | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 17,2021 October 17, 2021
- JAGUARS y DOLPHINS lucha hasta el último segundo en LONDRES | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 17, 2021
- Raiders Go Back To Classic Al Davis Passing With Carr TD Pass October 17, 2021
- The Batman – Official Trailer #2 (2022) Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz | DC FanDome 2021 October 17, 2021
- Green Bay PACKERS vs Chicago BEARS | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 17, 2021
- Kansas City Chiefs vs Washington Football Team Highlight 4th Qtr | Week 6 | NFL Season 2021-22 October 17, 2021
- The Batman (2022) , Behind the scenes October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Highlights 1st Qtr | Week 6 | NFL Season 2021-22 October 17, 2021
- Vikings vs. Panthers Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 17, 2021
- Cleveland Browns vs. Arizona Cardinals Highlights | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 17,2021 October 17, 2021
- Cowboys vs. Patriots Live Streaming Scoreboard, Play-By-Play, Highlights & Stats | NFL Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Randy Moss on Las Vegas Raiders vs. Denver Broncos Week 6: “Derek Carr has to win this game!” October 17, 2021
- Chiefs vs. Washington Football Team Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 17, 2021
- Baltimore Ravens vs Los Angeles Chargers Highlight 3rd Qtr | Week 6 | NFL Season 2021-22 October 17, 2021
- Raiders vs. Broncos Live Streaming 🔴 Denver Broncos vs Las Vegas Raiders FULL GAME October 17, 2021