Ok, Democratic Representative for Vice President Kamala Harris backs Derreck Johnson. Kaplan counters with Bernie Sanders, so Johnson breaks out the commercials with Harris in them. Wow, this Oakland City Council race between the incumbent Oakland City Council At Large Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan and the challenger Derreck Johnson has shaped up to be one of the most interesting in our city’s history.
Just last week, Councilmember Kaplan gained the backing of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, a huge pick-up in itself. But now, here’s Derreck Johnson coming back with his cousin, Kamala Harris. (How’s that for luck?)
And while she really did announce she was backing him in August, this time Harris’ is putting it out there via audio and video and television. It’s one thing to lend your name, but another to use your voice. The question I have is to wonder if it’s too little too late?
Overall, and with Mayor Schaaf’s powerful backing, Derreck Johnson has outraised Councilmember Kaplan, who gained my endorsement because she has been a long-time friend who has served Oakland well, and without scandal. This whole deal is because Libby and Rebecca just don’t get along. It’s the latest round in their political war that’s lasted for about seven years now.
Anyway, this is what Johnson’s camp sent over to me. (Hey, it’s news, you know?)
Kamala Harris Urges Oakland to Elect
Derreck Johnson in New Ad
At-Large Council Candidate’s Campaign Releases Online Spot in Run Up to Election Day
(Oakland, CA) – Today, the campaign of Oakland City Council At-Large candidate Derreck Johnson released a new online ad featuring U.S. Senator and Democratic Vice Presidential nominee Kamala Harris.
In the ad, “Kamala Knows Derreck,” Senator Harris says “I have known Derreck for decades and he has made an incredible difference for the lives of the people in the community who need it most. There’s no one better to serve all of Oakland as a City Councilmember At-Large.”
“I am honored beyond words to have the support of my friend, and our next Vice President, Kamala Harris,” said Derreck Johnson. “This new ad gives us a big shot of momentum as we head into the final weekend of this campaign.”
Senator Harris is part of a broad coalition supporting Johnson’s campaign, which also includes Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, Assemblymember Buffy Wicks, County Supervisor Nate Miley, San Francisco Mayor London Breed, Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs, BART Board President Lateefah Simon, State Board of Equalization Chair Malia Cohen, former Oakland City Council Presidents Pat Kernighan and Ignacio De La Fuente, the San Francisco Chronicle, East Bay Times, Metropolitan Greater Oakland Democratic Club, East Bay Young Democrats, East Bay for Everyone, and Teamsters Joint Council 7 (#2).
Will it work? Will Libby score another scalp as she did with Oakland City Councilmember Desley Brooks in District Six in 2018?
Stay tuned. We will find out after Tuesday. Don’t forget that Nancy Sidebotham is there, too. She could score big herself from this war.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kev Choice Tribute to Michael Morgan October 20, 2021
- Best of Week 7 of the 2021 College Football Season – Part 1 ᴴᴰ October 20, 2021
- Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS Game 4 Highlights (10/19/21) | MLB Highlights October 20, 2021
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021