“Buffy Wicks Dot Money” is a website The East Bay Democratic Socialists of America announced in a press release sent to Zennie62Media in the early morning hours of September 17th. Here’s the announcement of the new site that you can visit here: http://buffywicks.money
Democratic Socialists Promote Campaign Finance Transparency
OAKLAND – The East Bay chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) has released http://buffywicks.money, a new website detailing the sources of historic sums of money flowing into the California Assembly District 15 race in support of candidate Buffy Wicks, a political consultant who ran Hillary Clinton’s 2016 California primary campaign against Bernie Sanders.
Using publicly-available information and biting wit, the site illustrates how hundreds of thousands of dollars in contributions from wealthy donors with well-known conservative agendas and independent expenditures from PACs finance the Wicks campaign.
East Bay DSA is a democratic, all-volunteer organization engaged in labor solidarity work and campaigns for single-payer healthcare and universal rent control. The chapter supports Jovanka Beckles, and helped Beckles beat out 10 other candidates in June’s top-two primary for the Assembly District 15 seat. Since 2016, DSA has grown from 6,000 members to 50,000 nationwide.
DSA’s grassroots organizers are fresh off the victory of democratic socialist Julia Salazar in New York, where they faced some of the same interests. For instance, the founder of Success Academy—a charter school network funded by John and Regina Scully, who gave $8,800 to Wicks and $250,000 through PACs—donated $18,000 to Salazar’s opponent, Martin Dilan, through StudentsFirstNY.
“Corporate PACs and wealthy donors are corrupting our democracy, and Buffy Wicks Dot Money puts a face on that,” said East Bay DSA vice-chair Frances Reade. “Wicks’s donors are used to wielding their financial influence to achieve policy outcomes. They are smart investors who expect a return on their investments.”
Beckles’s platform includes many policy provisions opposed by Wicks’s donors, including universal rent control, a charter school moratorium, and single-payer healthcare. In contrast, Wicks opposes Proposition 10, an upcoming ballot measure to legalize comprehensive rent control, won’t sign on to a charter school moratorium, and won’t support single-payer Medicare for All, positions in line with the financial interests of her donors. East Bay DSA encourages activists interested in creating sites exposing the funding streams of other candidates to contact them at [email protected].
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Livestream: Blame To Go Around In Oakland A’s Relocation Threat? Start With Oakland Athletics
- MLB Ask Oakland Athletics To Threaten Relocation – Oakland City Council’s Progressive Wing Steps In
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News
- Watching Amanda Gorman Keynote At Professional Business Woman California Conference 2021
- Ben Barlett Berkeley Councilmember Meetings On Traffic, Fire Safety This Week
- Ultra Black News | Ahmed Muhammad | Oakland Tech’s First Black Male Valedictorian
- Asian American Attacks: Couple Dragged In Brazen Parking Lot Robbery In Oakland
- 5 7 2021 Auto Accident Hit N Run Oakland East 14th & 2nd
- Zennie62 YouTube At 2008 DNC Convention, United Airlines Flight To Denver, Meeting Ashley Wolfe Long
- Kenny Mayne: ESPN Tried To Keep Kenny Mayne For Less But He Said No – No Tears Here
- Andrew Peterson Oakland CIO Gets Harari Conscious Leadership And Social Innovation Award
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave