Oakland via Facebook – Davey D Cook, the well-known and also the first Hip Hop Journalist, was celebrated in an event produced by the Bay Area Black Journalists Association (BABJA) Saturday, December 7th, from Noon-4pm at Geoffrey’s Inner Circle in Downtown Oakland.
Since this Oakland vlogger was not able to attend as I was at a funeral here in Atlanta, I’m going to liberally lift from Oakland politico Cat Brooks account, the BABJA page, and my own take, since I’ve known the man going back to the time he was a UC Berkeley student and Eshleman Hall Library Monitor while I was working on my Masters Degree in City and Regional Planning at Cal. Davey was cool because he let you bring a little food into the library as long as you cleaned up.
Here’s how the Bay Area Black Journalists Association announced the event:
THIS SATURDAY the Bay Area Black Journalists Association will honor veteran journalist, Davey “D” Cook for his decades of dedication to this community as a journalist, radio Dj, activist and educator. So many of us in media have careers that were touched by Davey through his friendship and mentoring. We are excited to pay tribute to someone who has continued to be selfless through his advocacy and mentoring.
And this was Cat Brooks account on Facebook:
Y’all Davey D Cook stood up in a room full of people and LIED. Talking about he’s an excellent bones player! Melina Abdullah – needed you in the room today lol. On a serious note – today was a beautiful celebration of the amazing life and work of Davey. Honored to see him honored and get to say a few words. Legends were in the house today to pay homage to this amazing producer, journalist, DJ, activist and human being. Much deserved my brother!
Davey D History Via Zennie62 On YouTube Videos
When we met up at the once great and opened, now closed, Pican Restaurant, near Broadway and Grand Avenue, I told Davey that he was worth at least $1 million to $2 million a year as a personality. The reason is simple: he has a way of getting right to the heart of the matter, even if its something people may not want to hear.
Just as Van Jones has his own show on CNN, Davey D should have his own show, too. In fact, Van should have Davey on as a guest. It’s one thing to celebrate a person like Davey, but you and I both know that in this world of tech investors, and in this growing list of black venture capitalists like Abyah Wynn, Stephen DeBerry, Serena Williams and Andre Igoudala, Davey should have millions backing him. That he doesn’t is a sign that we have a problem to solve.
(And if I may digress for a second, black VC’s don’t mean black startups get money. For example, I had one African American investor tell me “I don’t invest in media” and then I learned from my friend Sarah Lacy that the same person invested in her blog Pando Daily, which has since been sold to an adtech company. So, obviously, I was lied to.)
Watch and listen and see why Davey D should have his own show.
This video is from the hard days of the Oscar Grant Riots, and a particularly difficult go with the late Ron Dellums, then the Mayor of Oakland. Then, it seemed as of Mayor Dellums was fearful of coming out and talking with the press and public about the murder of Oscar Grant and what Oakland should do, and Davey D called him out on it via this Zennie62 YouTube video:
Davey D weighed in on the “Hands Across Lake Merritt Trump Protest” event:
Davey D was not shy about his views on The Force Movie after a screening at the Grand Lake Theater in Oakland. Here’s our talk:
And four years ago Davey D came on my show to blast Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, and set the record straight on how we came to a point where Oaklanders, especially black Oaklanders, were being priced out of their homes. This is the full 40 minute video:
Davey D Is A Living Legend Who Deserves Investment From Media Venture Capitalists And His Own Show
Davey D is much like Stephen A Smith on ESPN: prior to his post, Smith was well-known to ESPN executives, but they thought he was “too controversial” (reading: he talks about race and black issues). That all changed when on ESPN producer who had the power said “Wait. All 24 of you know who Smith is? Why isn’t he in here?” We know the rest of the story.
Davey D Cook fits into that Stephen A Smith example and also points to a short list of blacks in media who have been undervalued in a white supremacist media environment. I made that point during a disgreement Davey and I had about the late Houston Texans Founder and friend of mine Bob McNair:
The point is, that dynamic of blacks in media not securing key investments has to stop – here that DeBerry? Now. Parties, celebrations, and all that are cool, (and congrats on the BABJA Lifetime Achivement Award, Davey) but we have to start moving money toward Davey D Cook.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021
- Police release video of suspect vehicle in fatal shooting of Oakland teen October 14, 2021