Oakland District 1 Councilmember Dan Kalb’s Message On Measure AA Certification
Dear Oakland residents,
Thank you for contacting my office recently to inquire or express concerns about the City Council’s Certification of Oakland Measure AA (The Children’s Initiative of 2018). I do understand that the City Council’s certification decision may be puzzling to some. I hope the information provided in this email helps to explain our action.
As you know, Measure AA received over 62% of the vote. While not a two-thirds super-majority, it is indeed a significant show of support from the voters.
When it came to the question of official Certification of the November 2018 election results, the City Council had received pertinent information that the two-thirds vote requirement might not apply to citizen-initiated, signature-gathered tax initiatives such as Measure AA.
This information is related to a 2017 California Supreme Court decision (Calif. Cannabis Coalition v.. City of Upland), which suggests that a tax measure put on the ballot through a citizen signature-gathering effort does not necessarily have the same voter threshold requirement as tax ballot measures submitted to the voters by a local governmental body (such as a City Council).
Due to the apparent legal ambiguity, it became clear that, no matter what action we took on Measure AA, the City of Oakland would almost assuredly face legal challenges. Given our options, I and others in City Hall believed that the most efficient way to resolve the legal ambiguity was to Certify that Measure AA had passed, and take appropriate steps directing the City Attorney to file a “Validation action” in state court. In this way, we anticipate resolving the legal ambiguity as quickly as possible, while hopefully reducing Oakland’s exposure to multiple potential and costly lawsuits.
The City & County of San Francisco is facing the same legal question regarding two of its local tax measures. The SF City Attorney has published a legal opinion that these initiative measures only needed a simple majority vote to pass.
Some people have understandably noted that, back in early August of this year, our City Attorney wrote in her analysis and summary in the ballot pamphlet that this measure required a two-thirds vote for passage. The City Attorney at that time may or may not have been correct. The unclear legal issue makes it impossible to know for sure at this time one way or the other. The state courts must ultimately decide this question.
I know that some people are perplexed that the Council even considered certification of passage. I certainly understand why one might have such a feeling since they were led to believe that a two-thirds vote was required. But I feel that we owe it to the 62% majority of voters who voted in favor to seek the answer as quickly as possible. And many people rightfully feel that a super-majority requirement under Prop. 13 and Prop. 218 is undemocratic in and of itself, and that it’s reasonable to pursue a viable legal opportunity to role that back for local citizen initiative measures.
Thank you again for contacting my office. I hope this answers any questions you may have had.
Oakland City Councilmember, District 1
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021