Congresswoman Barbara Lee Releases Statement on the Passing of Civil Rights Icon Congressman John Lewis
Washington, D.C. – Congresswoman Barbara Lee released the following statement on the passing of congressional leader and civil rights icon, Congressman John Lewis.
“I am deeply saddened by the news that my dear friend, colleague, and personal hero, John Lewis, has passed away.
“John was one of the most compassionate, kind, and gentle human beings I’ve ever known. His service to this country began in his youth as an architect of the historic March on Washington. One of the giants of the Civil Rights Movement, his leadership and courage continued as an extraordinary congressional leader.
“I’m honored and blessed to have not only known him, but to have served alongside his fearlessness, strength, and resiliency. I will be forever grateful for his wise counsel and thoughtful mentorship.
“Every year, I joined Congressman Lewis on a pilgrimage to Selma, Montgomery and Birmingham. He took time to meet with my grandchildren and young people in my district, inspiring them to stand up for justice, peace, and equality.
“To quote my friend John, ‘every generation leaves behind a legacy. What that legacy will be is determined by the people of that generation. What legacy do you want to leave behind?’
“A leader, a father, an activist, the conscience of the Congress, John Lewis’ legacy will be remembered as a man who never backed down, stood up for what was right, and facilitated change by making ‘good trouble.’
“His presence in the halls of Congress and in our fight for justice will be deeply missed. Our greatest tribute to his life and his work must be found in our unending commitment to peace, love, and equality for all. My condolences and prayers are with his family, his staff, and all the people who he has touched in his lifetime—the list is endless. May he rest in power.”
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Community Holds ‘Unity Against Hate’ Rally in Oakland
- Giant Palestine Israel Protest In San Francisco Mission District
- Oakland Councilmember Dan Kalb Asks For City And Oakland Athletics To Keep Ballpark Talks Quiet
- Rombauer Upsets Medina Sprit Comes From Behind To Win The Preakness Stakes – Race Real Time Reaction
- SF Bay Area White “Journalists” Can’t Stand Black Oakland Blogger With His Own Opinion
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Pushes Coliseum Ballpark With Flooding Future
- Let’s Meet. For Real. Meet In Oakland (full video)
- Base Camp 2021 Kick Off Hype Video
- 2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4553
- Oakland Police Investigate After Elderly Man Attacked
- POOLE PARTY! Jordan Splashes Home 38 Points in Warriors’ Win | May 14, 2021
- Warriors Talk: Jordan Poole on his 38-Point Night vs. Pelicans – May 14, 2021
- Taj Tashombe, Oakland A’s VP Of Gov Affairs Is NAACP 2021 Black Male Achievement Award Winner
- Tony Buzbee Did Approach Deshaun Watson Reps For $100K Settlement Contrary To Recent Claims
- Oakland Fire Department Sends 3,000 Baby Goats Out As News To Distract From Oakland A’s Relocation
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Accused Of Fraud By Local Atlanta TV Station WSB-TV
- dat Krunchy Couple: Trader Joe’s Snack Haul
- Oakland City Council Leaders Email To Rob Manfred MLB Commissioner On Oakland A’s Relocation
- Pyro’s Pastrami Jack London Square Is Oakland’s Best Kept Secret
- 1100 Himself on The Meaning Behind The Word “Hyphy” + Explains Oakland Slang. PT.2