Congresswoman Barbara Lee (CA-13) today endorsed Jovanka Beckles’s campaign to represent Assembly District 15 today. Hon. Barbara Lee declared:
“I am pleased to join Oakland Councilmember Dan Kalb, El Cerrito Mayor Pro Tem Rochelle Pardue-Okimoto, Berkeley Board of Education member Judy Appel, East Bay MUD Director Andy Katz, Cheryl Sudduth-Política and Owen Poindexter in endorsing Jovanka Beckles for the 15th Assembly District.
“We have the opportunity to elect a proven progressive who will take her experience to Sacramento to support an agenda reflective of the needs and aspirations of her constituents.
“I hope you will join us in voting for Jovanka Beckles who is well prepared to take on the difficult challenges which face our district, the state and the nation.”
Expressing her gratitude, Richmond City Council member and candidate for AD 15 Jovanka Beckles said:
“I am humbled and inspired to be endorsed by one of my sheroes, the person who singly stood up in Congress against pro-war forces in Washington after 9/11. We all need the kind of courage Barbara Lee demonstrates as we face the multiple crushing challenges of today – from climate change to soaring economic inequities; crises of police violence, mass incarceration and judicial injustice; corporate domination of our political system; and the cynical creation and manipulation of divisions in our society.”
Lee entered politics as a radical activist and has admirably held to her principles. She volunteered with the Black Panthers in the late 1960s and worked on Bobby Seale’s 1973 Oakland mayoral campaign. She succeeded Ron Dellums whom she recently eulogized as “the late, great, beloved” Ron Dellums and in whose offices she rose from intern to chief of staff before embarking on her own career in elective office in the California State Assembly and Senate, 1990-1998.
Her service in Congress began in 1998, representing what is now the East Bay’s 13th Congressional District, only the 20th African American woman in Congress since its first meeting in 1789.
Congressman Ro Khanna (CA-17) recently said of Lee, “I have often said that if John F. Kennedy were writing ‘Profiles of Courage’ today, there would be a chapter on Barbara Lee. Her vote in opposing the blank check to war is one of the most courageous acts of modern time.”
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Community Holds ‘Unity Against Hate’ Rally in Oakland
- Giant Palestine Israel Protest In San Francisco Mission District
- Oakland Councilmember Dan Kalb Asks For City And Oakland Athletics To Keep Ballpark Talks Quiet
- Rombauer Upsets Medina Sprit Comes From Behind To Win The Preakness Stakes – Race Real Time Reaction
- SF Bay Area White “Journalists” Can’t Stand Black Oakland Blogger With His Own Opinion
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Pushes Coliseum Ballpark With Flooding Future
- Let’s Meet. For Real. Meet In Oakland (full video)
- Base Camp 2021 Kick Off Hype Video
- 2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4553
- Oakland Police Investigate After Elderly Man Attacked
- POOLE PARTY! Jordan Splashes Home 38 Points in Warriors’ Win | May 14, 2021
- Warriors Talk: Jordan Poole on his 38-Point Night vs. Pelicans – May 14, 2021
- Taj Tashombe, Oakland A’s VP Of Gov Affairs Is NAACP 2021 Black Male Achievement Award Winner
- Tony Buzbee Did Approach Deshaun Watson Reps For $100K Settlement Contrary To Recent Claims
- Oakland Fire Department Sends 3,000 Baby Goats Out As News To Distract From Oakland A’s Relocation
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Accused Of Fraud By Local Atlanta TV Station WSB-TV
- dat Krunchy Couple: Trader Joe’s Snack Haul
- Oakland City Council Leaders Email To Rob Manfred MLB Commissioner On Oakland A’s Relocation
- Pyro’s Pastrami Jack London Square Is Oakland’s Best Kept Secret
- 1100 Himself on The Meaning Behind The Word “Hyphy” + Explains Oakland Slang. PT.2