Ookland – Today, Congresswoman Barbara Lee (CA-13) called on Donald Trump to expedite federal assistance requested by the State of California to combat the devastating wildfires that have swept across Lake, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma, and Yolo Counties over the last week. Congresswoman Lee released the following statement:
“Across California, extreme heat and lightning strikes contributed to some of the worst wildfires we have ever seen. As of today, almost 1 million acres have burned, including parts of our oldest state park. Damage to public and private property has been significant with thousands of homes destroyed. More than 100,000 have had to evacuate. People have died.
“Governor Newsom has estimated that it will cost more than $576 million just to clear debris from homes damaged or destroyed by the current fires, and the damage continues to grow.
“Firefighters from multiple agencies are doing the best they can to protect lives, property and wilderness. However, our resources are exhausted, and immediate federal assistance is critical to reinforce our first responders and save lives.
“I am joining Governor Newsom and my colleagues in Congress to call on FEMA and the White House to expedite a Major Disaster Declaration and render immediate federal aid to California. It is crucial that California can count on the federal government’s assistance in addressing this natural disaster.
“In recent years, California has experienced an explosion of wildfire activity, in large part due to climate change. This has resulted in an extraordinary challenge for our state’s firefighting resources and capabilities. In addition to fighting back a public health crisis, our state is in dire need of relief. To address the immediate threat posed by the current fires, we need a Major Disaster Declaration expedited with all possible haste.”
About Congresswoman Barbara Lee
Congresswoman Lee is the Co-Chair of the Steering & Policy Committee, a senior member of the Appropriations Committee, former Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Chair Emeritus of the Progressive Caucus, and Co-Chair of the Pro-Choice Caucus. She also serves as Chair of the Majority Leader’s Task Force on Poverty and Opportunity. As member of the House Democratic Leadership, she is the highest ranking African American woman in the U.S. Congress.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nba Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons- By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime