Washington, D.C. – Congresswoman Barbara Lee (CA-13 Oakland), Chair of the House Appropriations State and Foreign Operations Subcommittee, applauded the passage of the NO BAN ACT, which would rescind the previous administration’s Muslim Ban and prohibit religious discrimination in various immigration-related decisions.
The NO BAN Act rescinds the Muslim Ban, as well as abuses of power harming refugees and individuals seeking asylum. It includes measures to limit the President’s overly broad authority to issue future bans by requiring these actions to be temporary and increases mandatory reporting requirements to Congress.
“Our nation was built by immigrant communities and is strengthened by diversity,” Congresswoman Lee said. “Today, the House Democrats passed the NO BAN Act, sending a clear message that xenophobia and Islamophobia will not be tolerated. Religious freedom is one of the fundamental guarantees of our democracy, and the NO BAN Act is a critical step in turning the page on the previous administration’s cruel and blatantly discriminatory agenda.
“While this is only the first step, we must continue fighting to prevent any president from abusing their authority to restrict the entry of non-citizens into the United States and work to ensure inclusion and acceptance for all. I am pleased that the Biden-Harris Administration supports this critical legislation and must keep working to get the NO BAN Act signed into law.”
This bill also takes measures to:
Stop Executive Overreach
Stops executive overreach by amending section 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act to place checks and balances on the President’s authority to temporarily suspend or restrict the entry of non-citizens or classes of non-citizens into the United States.
In placing these checks and balances on the President’s authority, this bill requires that the President ensure that any such suspension or restriction of non-citizens or classes of non-citizens:
Is based on specific and credible facts;
Is narrowly tailored;
Specifies a duration; and
Strengthen the INA’s Nondiscrimination Provisions by Prohibiting Discrimination Based on Religion
The bill also expands the Immigration and Nationality Act’s nondiscrimination provisions to prohibit discrimination based on religion.
Furthermore, the bill expands the Immigration and Nationality Act’s prohibition on discrimination beyond the issuance of immigrant visas to include the issuance of non-immigrant visas, entry and admission into the United States, and the approval or revocation of any immigrant benefit.
Who Is Congresswoman Barbara Lee?
Congresswoman Lee is a member of the House Appropriations Committee and Chair of the subcommittee on State and Foreign Operations. She serves as Co-Chair of the Steering & Policy Committee, former Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Chair Emeritus of the Progressive Caucus, Co-Chair of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus Health Task Force, and Co-Chair of the Pro-Choice Caucus. She also serves as Chair of the Majority Leader’s Task Force on Poverty and Opportunity. As a member of the House Democratic Leadership, she is the highest ranking African American woman in the U.S. Congress.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Accused Of Fraud By Local Atlanta TV Station WSB-TV
- dat Krunchy Couple: Trader Joe’s Snack Haul
- Oakland City Council Leaders Email To Rob Manfred MLB Commissioner On Oakland A’s Relocation
- This Pastrami is Oakland’s Best Kept Secret | Word of Mouth
- 1100 Himself on The Meaning Behind The Word “Hyphy” + Explains Oakland Slang. PT.2
- Rose Haze | Oakland Band | Live Performance at Balanced Breakfast’s Showcase | SxSW 2021
- 2421 67th Avenue Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com
- Bike Oakland & Piedmont: Around Mountain View Cemetery
- Oakland Unified School District Announces 2021 Teachers Of The Year
- Colonial Pipeline Paid Darkside Hackers $5 Million In Ransom Money – Bad Idea
- Black Business Roundtable hosted by Oakland’s Own Doug Blacksher
- How The 49ers vs Raiders Preseason Games Restarted When The Silver And Black Returned To Oakland
- Rusty Hardin Says Tony Buzbee Deshaun Watson Settlement Not Happening Talk Is Ironic
- Mads Mikkelsen And Anders Jensen Blockbuster Interview With Zennie62Media’s Jessica Dwyer
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Seeks To Drown A’s Fans In Water At Coliseum
- Mads Mikkelsen Oscars: Mads Mikkelsen, Anders Jensen, Riders Of Justice Interview: Jessica Dwyer
- Oakland Schools: OUSD 2021 Classified School Employees Of The Year
- Biden Press Secretary Jen Psaki Statement On Restart of Colonial Pipeline And Continued Federal Government Efforts To Mitigate Impacts
- The Oakland A’s Never “Rooted In Oakland” – Las Vegas Mayor Says Relocation Talk 2 Years Old
- Oakland Athletics In Relocation Talks for 2 Years According To LV Review Journal – by Richard Haick