The news brought to me by Richmond Councilmember and California Assembly District 15 Candidate Jovanka Beckles was horrifying: 92-Year-Old Lela Madison was locked out of her home she has owned since 1960. The organization responsible for the action, according to Mrs. Madison in the Facebook live video, is called Community Fund LLC, and it seems the firm does this as standard practice.
Community Fund LLC is located at 1032 E 14th St, San Leandro, California, and its San Leandro Chamber of Commerce webpage directly says what it’s all about: “Real Estate/ Residential & Commercial , Property Management, Foreclosures, Short Sales, & Investments. 2 offices to serve you 3577 Fruitvale Ave, Oakland, CA 94602 (510) 530-1005.” In the area of “Foreclosures, Short Sales” Community Fund LLC has gained some local fame for how it treats elderly black women. And in 2015, it’s boss, Michael Marr, CEO of Community Fund, LLC, was convicted in a Federal court for bid rigging at foreclosure auctions. Mr. Marr was sentenced to 30 months in prison, March 21, 2018.
Anti-Eviction Map reports “Because most of the properties that Marr acquired are single family homes, they do not fall under rent control per Costa Hawkins (the anti-rent control law which would be removed with the passage of the California Affordable Housing Act this November 2018 election). Widespread displacement of long time residents through rent increases has been the modus operandi for Marr and other foreclosure speculators in the east bay. Unknown numbers of families have left their homes, while some resisted. Senate Bill AB1506 would address the problem, but is stalled in the State Senate under the power of the landlord lobby.”
Note the sentence: “Widespread displacement of long time residents through rent increases has been the modus operandi for Marr and other foreclosure speculators in the east bay.” Many of those residents are black, so now we see one reason for the dramatic drop in the African American population in Oakland.
Lela Madison is just the latest elderly black woman to lose her home to Community Fund LLC, which, from research, has a kind of pipeline connection with Wells Fargo Bank: Wells Fargo Bank forecloses on a mortgage loan of a home, and Community Fund LLC buys it. But, from media accounts, Community Fund LLC seems to have this pattern of praying on homes owned by elderly African Americans in the East Bay Area.
Another woman who was victim of Community Fund LLC practices was Dorothy DeBose, who is described by the Oakland Post as “a 76-year-old, life-long East Oakland resident.” She fits the pattern of prey by the shark that is Community Fund LLC. In March of 2017, Dorothy DeBose was facing eviction by Community Fund LLC, said to be Alameda County’s largest land owner, and after living at 6521 Bancroft Avenue for over 50 years. A Go-Fund-Me page was set up for her and an anonymous donor stepped forward to help her buy back her home.
In a similar fashion, Councilmember Beckles has set up a Go-Fund-Me page for Lela Madison. That page is here. Right now, it’s reached $3,356 of its $10,000 goal as of this writing. But what about changing the law so this doesn’t happen?
Senate Bill AB1506 calls for residential, rather than just apartment, rent control, and closes a loophole that allows housing to escape rent control laws in California. Assemblymembers David Chiu, Rob Bonta, and Richard Bloom wrote the bill. According to “Legislative Info” the bill was filed out of committee under what is called “Joint Rule 56”. In other words, the bill died in committee.
What’s needed is a very simple initiative that says you can’t evict anyone who’s at or older than 85 years old. That would stop these horror stories. I can tell you from personal experience helping my Mom, that the elderly are targets for bad insurance sales people, unethical real estate brokers, shady home contractors, and predatory lenders. The elderly are put on calls lists for all kinds of products and more often than not don’t know how the company got their number. That should be illegal, just like evicting anyone at or older than 85. Lela Madison is 92.
I don’t know what the latest news on Lela Madison is, as she could not get back into her home. I hope that situation is changed and soon.
Also, as Councilmember Beckles is running for the California Assembly District 15 Seat, and her staff has made sure to mention her involvement in getting the word out about Lela Madison’s plight, Ms. Beckles should enlist the help of her challenger Buffy Wicks. Then, Beckles avoids being accused of politicizing an elderly woman’s problem, and since some accuse Wicks of getting “outside money”, maybe they can get Wick’s help to find donors to allow Lela Madison buy her home.
That’s real government at work and doing good for a person, and forgetting a political battle, to come to the aide of someone who really needs it: Lela Madison.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021