Updated Alameda County Health Orders Take Effect Today. Outdoor pools and lower-risk personal services, like hair and nail salons, allowed to reopen outdoors
Oakland – On Friday, August 21, the Alameda County Public Health Official issued updated Shelter-in-Place Orders to reopen outdoor swimming pools and outdoor hair salons, nail salons, barbershops, waxing services, skin care and non-medical massages. These Orders exclude services that may require a client to remove their face covering, as well as eyebrow threading and waxing and eyelash treatments. Tattoos, piercings and electrolysis are not allowed to operate indoors or outdoors in alignment with the State of California’s Health Officer Orders issued on July 13. The updated County orders took effect at 8:00 a.m. today, and will continue to be in effect until rescinded, superseded, or amended in writing by the Health Officer.
Additionally, wineries in Alameda County can now offer outdoor tastings by appointment without needing to provide food. In alignment with the State’s Orders, this change does not apply to bars, breweries, pubs or brewpubs.
Guidance for operation of outdoor personal services, outdoor pools, and other industries and businesses that may reopen during the COVID-19 pandemic can be found here: https://covid-19.acgov.org/recovery.page? All businesses must complete a Site-Specific Protection Plan and protocols and procedures to protect customers and employees from COVID-19 must be in place when businesses reopen.
With respect to re-opening City-operated outdoor pools, the City of Oakland is reviewing the Health Order requirements and has begun to resume essential training and American Red Cross certification programs for staff in anticipation of re-opening Lions Pool at Dimond Park starting in mid-September. More specific guidance and plans regarding re-opening for a second City-operated pool will be forthcoming.
To assist businesses allowed to reopen with outdoor services, the City of Oakland has waived all fees and streamlined permitting for business’ use of public rights-of-way, including sidewalks, parking lanes and roadway encroachments, allowing outdoor hair salons, nail salons, barbershops, waxing services, skin care and non-medical massages, under the Flex Streets program. The goal is to spur equitable economic recovery by making it easier for allowed businesses to use portions of the sidewalk, parking lanes and streets to provide personal services, serve food and sell goods. The Department of Transportation (OakDOT) issues permits for the use of the public right-of-way, while the Planning & Building Department issues permits private outdoor areas.
Flex Streets allows businesses to expand allowed business activities outdoors in five ways:
Use the Sidewalks or Parking Lanes
Use Traffic Lanes
Use Private Parking Lots or Other Private Outdoor Areas
Vend from Food Trucks, Trailers or Pushcarts
Use City-owned Outdoor Property
See step-by-step instructions for each of these five uses at: www.oaklandca.gov/FlexStreets
Since Flex Streets launched in June:
228 businesses have applied for use of Sidewalk or Parking Lanes.
There are 15 active applications for Street Use – 6 are for Parklets, 9 for Street closures. The Chinatown Chamber launched their weekly Friday afternoon street closure on August 7.
8 applications for use of Private Parking Lots or Other Private Property have been received.
5 businesses have applied for use of City-Owned Outdoor property.
The majority of the applications to-date have been from restaurants, but City staff anticipate many personal service businesses will apply in the coming days.
The important step is to apply for the permit before you start using the outdoor space, even for privately owned or leased outdoor spaces – including parking lots. Businesses are reminded to review the ADA Accessibility Guidelines for the Flex Streets Program for important details on sidewalk clearances and accessible table requirements.
Businesses seeking guidance on Alameda County guidelines for re-opening should email firstname.lastname@example.org. Businesses and activities authorized under previous orders may continue to operate.
Oakland’s Parks, Recreation & Youth Development also announced the launch of its Fall 2020 Town Enrichment Program, providing social opportunities, sports and fitness, arts and crafts, STEAM, and other fun for children ages 5 to 12 in a safe place. All programs follow current Alameda County Health Orders and CDC guidelines. Registration opens Monday, August 31. Scholarships available.
The Alameda County Health Officer continuously monitors the COVID-19 indicators to determine when it’s safe to lift more restrictions.
Other Re-opening Resources
Visit the City’s Planning Resources for Business Re-Opening website for the latest information on resources to support re-opening, including:
Alameda County Public Health Department’s Guidance on Not Requiring Negative COVID-19 Test Results for Return to Work
County screening guidance for employers in multiple languages
Self-assessment guidance for workers in multiple languages
Information on cleaning/disinfecting businesses
A printable face covering sign for businesses in eight languages
ReOpening Guide signs by the Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with Oaklandish and the Economic Recovery Advisory Council, in four languages.
Business Re-opening & Recovery Survey
To help gauge COVID-19 impacts to Oakland business and what resources would help business owners as they plan for re-opening and recovery, the City has launched a brief Business Re-opening and Recovery Survey. The survey launched in English and additional languages will be added by Wednesday.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- GIRL INJURED IN PEDESTRIAN CRASH ON 98TH AVENUE AND CHERRY STREET [OAKLAND, CA] October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021
- Police release video of suspect vehicle in fatal shooting of Oakland teen October 14, 2021