Oakland, CA — Our hearts go out to the victims and families of the Camp Fire in Butte County, which continues to burn, and the impacts are being felt across the region as air quality has worsened, fluctuating between “unhealthy” and “very unhealthy.” As of 10 am, the Air Quality Index is in the “very unhealthy” range.
Impacts are most severe to our most vulnerable neighbors: infants and children, the elderly, pregnant women, those with respiratory or cardiac issues, and our unsheltered.
Oakland’s libraries, senior centers, and other City facilities remain open as options for the public to come indoors.
The City’s Head Start centers and recreation centers/programs are closed today due to very unhealthy air quality and recommendations from public health experts.
Important Health Advisories
The Alameda County Public Health Department’s Health Advisory recommends that while air quality is in the “unhealthy” range:
· The best option for everyone, especially children, the elderly, and persons with chronic lung or heart disease, is to stay indoors with windows and doors closed and avoid prolonged outdoor activities.
· Some specific masks (N95s or higher), if properly fitted, may be helpful for those who must be outdoors for prolonged periods. N95 masks require a tight seal to work, thus are not protective for men with beards or young children. Persons with chronic lung or heart disease or other medical conditions, should check with their healthcare provider before using an N95 mask, as they can make breathing more difficult.
· Bandanas (wet or dry), paper or surgical masks, or tissues held over the mouth and nose will not protect from wildfire smoke or small particulate matter in the air.
The Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) has extended its Air Quality Advisory due to the Camp Fire through Tuesday, November 20th. The BAAQMD’s most recent advisory, issued on November 15, 2018, states:
“The Bay Area is continuing to experience heavy smoke from the Camp Fire in Butte County. Air quality continues to be unhealthy through much of the region and these conditions are expected to persist through Tuesday at least. While weather conditions will vary somewhat in the coming days, air quality is expected to remain unhealthy because there is so much smoke trapped at the surface and surrounding the region.
The public should limit outdoor activity as much as possible during this alert, and continue to listen to health information from their local authorities. If air quality is unhealthy in your area, the first and best option is to stay indoors with windows and doors closed. Masks should not be used instead of remaining indoors, but if worn they should be a new, clean N95 mask or greater, securely strapped for a tight seal. Masks are not suitable for men with beards or young children.”
Support for our Unsheltered Community
Alameda County’s Health Care for the Homeless and the City of Oakland have been engaging our outreach teams to support our unsheltered residents:
· Health Care for the Homeless (HCH) has distributed 5,500 N95 masks to encampment sites mainly through a network of City and community partners such as Mask Oakland
· HCH has distributed all the masks they had available; a second emergency shipment of N95 masks is expected to arrive on Saturday
· Year-round shelter beds are available at St. Vincent de Paul (2272 San Pablo Ave)
· Outreach workers have provided information about open public facilities such as libraries where the unsheltered can move inside during the day
Additional Information and Resources:
· Check the Air Quality Index for up-to-date air quality information.
· Monitor local air quality conditions and indicators to stay indoors, by visiting www.airnow.gov.
· Sign up to receive local emergency alerts via text, phone, and/or email.
· See this Wildfire Resources webpage and this posted flyer for more details and guidance from the Alameda County Public Health Department.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021