Traffic safety measures, parking restrictions, improved sanitation, and a dedicated vendor area aim to reduce crowding, potential spread of COVID-19, and traffic hazards, while ensuring emergency access.
Oakland, CA – Lake Merritt is Oakland’s crown jewel, a place of extraordinary beauty where everyone feels at home. It’s a refuge for people and wildlife alike. And over the past few years, especially on warm days and during summer months, it has become very crowded.
The dramatic increase in visitors has caused parking, traffic safety, and noise issues; attracted unauthorized commercial vending, including alcohol and cannabis sales; generated large amounts of litter impacting the Lake; and placed an outsized burden on City resources. Of greatest concern, the sheer number of vehicles that are double and triple parked on Lakeshore Avenue have impeded access for emergency vehicles.
In the summer and fall of 2020, the City launched a pilot street vending program, implemented street closures, restricted parking, and enhanced public outreach and enforcement activity. These measures proved effective, so starting this weekend and continuing through November, the City will be implementing additional measures to address the impacts of large crowds at the Lake on weekends. Addressing these complex issues will be a process and may take some time, so we appreciate the community’s patience as we implement these changes.
Traffic Management, Parking Restrictions, and Street Closures
On Saturday and Sunday, beginning at 6:00am and continuing until 10pm:
Closed in the southbound direction from MacArthur to Hanover.
Center lane closed.
Northbound will remain open.
No parking on the southbound side.
Lakeshore Avenue cul-de-sac—access will be restricted to residents living on the cul-de-sac or people accessing the church.
El Embarcadero—closed in both directions to allow room for vendors
Lakeview Library parking lot—closed.
Bellevue Avenue, Ellita, and Staten Avenues –no through traffic.
Parking restrictions will be enforced on both Saturday and Sunday—no parking on:
Lakeshore Avenue between MacArthur & East 18th, lake side
Grand Avenue between Bellevue and El Embarcadero
Bellevue Avenue on the lake side from Perkins to Grand.
These closures and restrictions will improve traffic safety and allow for greater access for bicyclists and pedestrians around Lake Merritt. They will also allow for emergency vehicle access when needed.
Food vending, alcohol and cannabis sales, and amplified sound will not be permitted. Imminent fire/life safety hazards will be directed to cease immediately.
Merchandise vendors will be encouraged to contact the Oakland Black Vendors Association to apply to be part of the future permitted market.
Park Maintenance and Sanitation
The City will deploy additional parks maintenance crews and will empty litter containers more frequently. Additional portapotties and handwashing stations will also be installed near the Cleveland Cascade, at Astro park, and at Bellevue and Grand.
Fire inspectors and municipal code enforcement officers will be present on both days to engage with the vendors and remind them of park rules and staying safe.
Post based on press release sent to Zennie62Media by the City of Oakland.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Of Recalling Mayor Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021