The City of Oakland asks Oaklanders to “shop Oakland” and go to local stores and Oakland online businesses for Christmas and The Holidays via the press release to Zennie62Media, below.
Oakland, CA – Shoppers can skip the stress of standing in lines to have fun, find great gifts and keep their money in Oakland supporting local businesses and bolstering the city’s economy. The one-stop portal at ShopOaklandNow.org is packed with information on holiday events, the #ShopOAKProud photo contest, online directories and a helpful concierge service.
“Oakland is full of unique shops offering one-of-a-kind gifts all year round, and the Shop Local campaign serves as a wonderful reminder for residents and visitors alike to take full advantage of all that our small business community has to offer this holiday season,” said Mayor Libby Schaaf. “Our diverse local artists and entrepreneurs are the backbone of our local economy, so I encourage all Oaklanders to put their money where their heart is and support the businesses that invest so much in us.”
Shoppers are encouraged to explore Oakland’s shopping districts, discover the unique gift items offered by local retailers and experience a variety of special events through New Year’s Eve. With the inclusion of places to shop, eat and have fun, Oaklanders have many options on where to spend their dollars locally. Check the ShopOaklandNow.org website throughout the holiday season as information is continuously updated.
The online small business directory helps Oaklanders find the boutiques, shops and makers offering one-of-a-kind holiday gifts. Main Street Launch has gathered information on 3,600 merchants throughout Oakland and continues to grow that number.
Local businesses create a shopping experience unique to Oakland and capture the spirit and reflect the diversity of our community, and provide gift buyers will enjoy a more relaxed and inspired shopping experience. The “Shop Local” season-long campaign encourages Oakland residents and visitors to put their money where their hearts are by shopping locally. This theme aims to capture the immense pride and affinity residents have for Oakland.
The #ShopOAKProud Photo Contest, sponsored by the Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce, runs through noon on Friday, December 20, 2019. Post your holiday season pics taken at local Oakland businesses, use the hashtag #ShopOAKProud in your post and tag the business or location within Oakland city limits where the photo was taken to be entered to win two round-trip tickets to any Southwest Airlines published, domestic destination including Hawaii!
A merry band of judges will review entries for the winningest creative expression of Oakland’s 2019 holiday season “Making Spirits Bright!” shopping experience as you shop, savor, sip and share your way through the season, and select a winner. Photo contest rules at oaklandchamber.com/resource.
Need gift ideas that are truly unique and meaningful? Know what you want to give, but stumped where to find the gift item in Oakland? The free Concierge Service at ShopOaklandNow.org will help you find one-of-a-kind items at a local, independent business.
A growing number of transportation options are available to help shoppers explore Oakland’s commercial districts without the hassle of looking for parking. Thanks to BART, AC Transit, the bike share system, e-scooters and ride-hailing and taxi services, shopping local is easier than ever. Learn more about transportation options at oaklandca.gov/topics/holiday-transportation.
To encourage turn-over of parking spots to better ensure availability for shoppers, both on-street and in off-street garages and lots, the City will maintain standard pricing at all street meters and in City-owned garages and lots.
Shoppers are reminded that parking at street meters and in metered City parking lots is free on Sundays year-round. Time limits still apply.
Why Shopping Locally is Important
By choosing to shop at local businesses, you will enjoy a more distinctive and personal experience and help support Oakland businesses. Shopping locally also helps strengthen Oakland’s economy as your purchases support jobs for your neighbors and generates sales tax revenue for the City. Consider the many social and economic benefits of shopping local as you complete your holiday gift purchases.
The Love Oakland shop local holiday promotion is a partnership between the City of Oakland, Main Street Launch, Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Visit Oakland.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders News : NT Kendal Vickers Move Up To 53 Man Roster | Mariota Activated For Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021