Oakland, CA – The Oakland City Council’s Finance & Management Committee will hear a report from City staff this Monday afternoon that contains a stark warning: without timely action to curb spending and bring expenditures in line with projected revenues, the City of Oakland could face a $62 million shortfall by the end of this fiscal year on June 30.
The informational report details the financial results of the fourth quarter of the previous fiscal year (through June 30, 2020) and projects General Fund revenues and expenditures for the current fiscal year 2020-21 based on first quarter trends. The report does not address projections for the next two-year budget cycle (FY 2021-23), which will be presented in early 2021.
The report shows that the City ended the last fiscal year (FY 2019-21) with a General Purpose Fund shortfall of $30 million. This significant shortfall puts the City at risk for severe fiscal stress if not addressed. In addition, preliminary FY 2020-21 first quarter data indicates this shortfall is widening. If no fiscal corrective action is taken, by the end of FY 2020-21, analysts project a shortfall of $62 million in the General Purpose Fund, an amount that represents nearly ten percent of the City’s core expenditure fund.
The FY 2020-21 year-end forecast is based on three months of economic data, which will be revised and revisited as more data is received. Though the data is preliminary, and the report paints the “do-nothing” scenario, staff warn that the growing and significant projected shortfall points to the urgency and necessity of acting quickly and aggressively to mitigate a growing fiscal crisis.
The primary reason for this unprecedented shortfall is the devastating impact of COVID-19 and the shelter-in-place orders largely in effect since March 2020. These necessary actions to curb the transmission of the virus reversed the State of California’s robust pre-COVID growth, sending unemployment rates to levels not seen since the Great Depression. Like cities and counties across the country, the impact of COVID-19 severely weakened Oakland’s economy and City revenues in FY 2019-20, and appears likely to have continued impacts through FY 2020-21 and beyond.
Between February and June 2020, the unemployment rate in Oakland increased nearly five-fold, from 3.4% to 15.7%. By September 2020, the City’s unemployment rate had improved to 11.5% but remained well above levels seen in recent years. Tourism and business activity declined in parallel with employment losses. The City’s real estate markets have also been challenged in the wake of COVID-19. Gross sales of properties under $100 million of value dropped by 10% in FY 2019-20 relative to FY 2018-19. Construction activity from projects begun in prior years continued through the pandemic but some significant proposed projects were paused, most notably a $900 million, 29-story headquarters for Kaiser Permanente intended to house 7,200 employees.
These broad declines in economic activity have had substantial impacts on the City’s revenues and near-term fiscal outlook. Real Estate Transfer Taxes, Sales Taxes, and Transient Occupancy Taxes (hotel taxes), among other revenue sources, have been impacted by sharp declines in the broader economy. Simultaneously, Oakland’s residents’ need for City services have dramatically increased in the face of income and job losses. In addition, heightened levels of gun violence, civil protests, and fire-related emergencies have strained the City’s public safety capacity and contributed to increased overtime expenditures.
As the report details, the most significant source of increased spending is attributed to Police Department non-reimbursable overtime, which was $35 million at the end of the last fiscal year. OPD issued a separate Information Memo detailing the reasons that OPD exceeded its overtime budget last year. As the City Auditor concluded in her 2019 Report on Police Overtime, the Police overtime budget continues to be underfunded and has not taken historical spending patterns into consideration when the balanced budget is developed.
The City budget has two funds that are designed to shield the City from periodic economic downturns and to be used in case of an emergency (such as an earthquake or firestorm): the Vital Services Stabilization Fund and the mandated 7.5% General Fund Emergency Reserve Fund. Last spring the entire balance of the Vital Services Stabilization Fund ($14.65 million) was appropriated to plug a budget shortfall caused from the COVID-19 crisis. The General Fund Emergency Reserve Fund currently has a balance of $48.31 million, which is equivalent to one month of General Purpose Fund budget. The Government Finance Officers Association (“GFOA”) recommends maintaining unrestricted budgetary fund balance in the general fund of no less than two months of operating expenditures (16.7%).
Like local governments across the nation, Oakland faces unprecedented challenges to its economic condition and fiscal outlook from the global COVID-19 pandemic. The decline in economic output that accompanied the pandemic was swift, in contrast with the more gradual downward trends associated with past recessions, and the City had little time to prepare for revenue losses. In addition, the time frame for recovery of the City’s revenues remains uncertain, as actual revenues continue to fall short of projections made in earlier periods. Much uncertainty remains on the trajectory and timing of this public health crisis.
One thing is certain: City leaders must act quickly—in partnership with labor and our community—to address the unprecedented, looming $62 million shortfall. The informational report being heard today is intended to communicate the scope and severity of the potential shortfall and does not propose specific recommendations. Significant cost-cutting measures are inevitable and will be presented to the City Council for consideration and authorization in the upcoming weeks; these could include significant service reductions.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Part1 Highlights | World Series – Game 1 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- LAKERS at THUNDER | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 27, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Los Angeles Lakers vs Oklahoma City Thunder – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Dem. Virginia Governor Candidate Terry McAuliffe Calls GOP Opponent Youngkin ‘Dangerous’ October 27, 2021
- Cousin of TikTok star accused of murder speaks October 27, 2021
- TIMBERWOLVES AT BUCKS | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 27, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Russell Westbrook Not Happy After Darius Bazley Dunks During Dying Seconds of the Game October 27, 2021
- Carmelo Anthony & Malik Monk Airballs the Game-Tying Threes vs OKC October 27, 2021
- Accused TikTok star’s cousin shares his thoughts October 27, 2021
- Russell Westbrook First Triple-Double as a Laker! 20 PTS 13 AST 14 REB Highlights vs OKC October 27, 2021
- Philadelphia 76ers vs Detroit Pistons 10/28/21 Free NBA Pick and Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 27, 2021
- HAWKS at PELICANS | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 27, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Minnesota Timberwolves vs Milwaukee Bucks – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Anthony Edwards BULLIES BUCKS Defense for CLUTCH AND-1 😤 October 27, 2021
- Cavaliers vs. Clippers 10/27/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 27, 2021
- Oakland supervisors to push ballpark project forward October 27, 2021
- 남자 ASMR FOOD SPICY CHINESE FOODS MUKBANG #3349 October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Atlanta Braves VOL 4 | World Series – Game 2 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- Lightyear | Teaser Trailer October 27, 2021
- Mehdi Challenges Joe Lieberman On Centrism, Manchin, and Iraq | The Mehdi Hasan Show October 27, 2021
- Inside Allegiant Stadium for Raiders vs. Eagles Week 7. Oct 24, 2021 October 27, 2021
- WIZARDS at CELTICS | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 27, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Raiders vs Eagles Live At Circa! October 27, 2021
- Caught on camera: Sacramento County auto shops hit by gas thieves October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Hawks vs New Orleans Pelicans – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Fred VanVleet 26 PTS 10 REB, 6 THREES Full Highlights vs Pacers | 2021 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Santa Fe DA on Alec Baldwin Facing Criminal Charges: ‘All Options Are on the Table’ October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Atlanta Braves Highlights – World Series Game 2 – 10/27/2021 October 27, 2021
- PACERS at RAPTORS | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 27, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Las Vegas Halftime Performance by the Grambling State World Famed Tiger Marching Band! October 27, 2021
- Where you can find affordable housing in the greater Sacramento area October 27, 2021
- Washington Wizards vs Boston Celtics – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- What John Eastman Says In Public Vs. Private | The Mehdi Hasan Show October 27, 2021
- Nightly News Full Broadcast – October 27th October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Atlanta Braves VOL 3 | World Series – Game 2 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Atlanta Braves VOL 2 | World Series – Game 2 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- ‘Marker’ the Robot | The machine that patrols launching site October 27, 2021
- Sunday’s storm leaves lasting impact on cars, as mechanics work to fix repairs October 27, 2021
- Oakland School Board Meets to Discuss Reinstating Police Mentoring Program October 27, 2021
- Indiana Pacers vs Toronto Raptors – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021