Oakland –– A recent federal court ruling regarding the nationwide eviction moratorium adopted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not change the City of Oakland’s current eviction and rent increase moratorium, which remains in effect during the COVID emergency and until rescinded by the Oakland City Council.
On March 27, 2020, the Oakland City Council adopted an ordinance imposing a moratorium on residential evictions and rent increases above the CPI amount of 2.7% and prohibiting late fees during the COVID-19 Local Emergency. The ordinance also prohibits evictions based on non-payment of rent that became due during the Local Emergency when the tenant suffered a substantial reduction of income or substantial increase of expenses due to COVID-19.
In September 2020, the CDC adopted a national moratorium on evictions. Last week, a federal court ruled against that moratorium on the grounds that it exceeded the CDC’s power under federal law. The Department of Justice has appealed the decision and the ruling has been put on a temporary hold.
The court’s ruling focuses on whether the CDC exceeded its authority under federal law asking the very specific question, “does the Public Health Service Act grant the CDC the legal authority to impose a nationwide eviction moratorium? It does not.”
As state and local eviction moratoria were adopted by state and local legislatures and consistently upheld by courts, the aforementioned federal ruling has no impact on Oakland’s eviction and rent increase moratorium.
The City Council has extended Oakland’s moratorium on evictions and rent increases until the Local Emergency is terminated by Council. RAP, a division of the City’s Housing & Community Development Department, reminds tenants and property owners to always ask before you act – contact a housing counselor with questions about the eviction moratorium and all other housing matters. Call (510) 238-3721 or visit: oaklandca.gov/rap
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Cincinnati Reds vs Pittsburgh Pirates Highlights September 27, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 28, 2021
- Chevron Ecuador’s Steven Donziger And Theranos Elizabeth Holmes Have Fraud In Common September 28, 2021
- Rebecca Kaplan and Noel Gallo Oakland CMs Call For Approval Of AASEG Oakland Coliseum Term Sheet September 28, 2021
- City of Oakland Missing Out On TENS OF MILLIONS Of Cannabis Taxes by Derrick Soo September 28, 2021
- Squash: Coll v Farag – Men’s Final Roundup – Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 September 28, 2021
- Loop Capital CEO Jim Reynolds Tells CNBC How He’s Diversifying His Firm In 2020 Interview September 28, 2021
- Frank Somerville Suspended By KTVU Update – Oakland’s Dr. Elnora T. Webb, PhD Op Ed September 28, 2021
- Zion Williamson injured and will miss preseason September 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Move Up In The Top 5 In The NFL Power Rankings September 28, 2021
- Gabby Petito Family Press Conference On Today September 28 2021 1:05 PM EST via CNN September 28, 2021
- How We Can Win Texas and Florida in 2022 with Shaniqua McClendon September 28, 2021
- Frank Somerville Suspended Update: KTVU’s Amber Eikel Avoids Social Media Blasts After Action September 28, 2021
- Davey D Rants on Mayor Ron Dellums After Oakland Oscar Grant Murder, Riots For Not Talking To Media September 28, 2021
- TikTok Video: Brian Laundrie Hitchhiking on August 29th, But Where Was Gabby Petito? September 28, 2021
- Reagan Shooter John Hinckley Granted Release From Court Supervision September 28, 2021
- Squash: Hany v Sobhy – Women’s Finals Roundup – Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 September 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders – Is Everyone Being Vetted Before Entering Allegiant Stadium? By Joseph Armendariz September 28, 2021
- National Voter Registration Day is today September 28, 2021
- National Voter Registration day is today! September 28, 2021
- Tuesday is National Voter Registration Day: Where can you register to vote? September 28, 2021
- National Voter Registration Day! September 28, 2021
- News to Go – Events Today for National Voter Registration Day September 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Is RB Peyton Barber The Reason For Trey Ragas Release? By Joseph Armendariz September 28, 2021
- Oakland Athletics vs Seattle Mariners Highlights September 27, 2021 September 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Running BackTrey Ragas Waived By The Raiders But Why? By Joseph Armendariz September 28, 2021