Oakland – Mayor Libby Schaaf and the Selection Panel for the Police Commission today announced the opening of the application process to serve on the Oakland Police Commission. The Police Commission was established in October 2017 after voters approved Measure LL with over 83% support on the November 8, 2016 ballot.
“Oakland’s volunteer Police Commission is currently the most powerful and independent Police Commission in the country,” Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said. “When the actions of a member of the Oakland Police Department are called into question, the public must have total confidence that allegations of misconduct are taken seriously, investigations are thorough, transparent, and fair, and offenders are held accountable when appropriate. The City remains committed to ongoing and nationally-recognized strides the Oakland Police Department has been making.”
Establishing and maintaining public trust and confidence in the Police Department is essential for the Department to be able to provide the highest level of service to the community.
Selection Panel Chairperson Jim Chanin: “We are seeking dedicated community members that will hold the Oakland Police Department to the highest standards and speak up for the community at-large. If you are passionate about police accountability issues and justice, we want to hear from you.”
The Selection Panel will seek to make appointments that reflect Oaklanders’ diversity of experiences, especially individuals from communities experiencing the most frequent contact with the Department. Strong commitment to police accountability and public service will be prioritized. Duties include overseeing the Community Police Review Agency, which conducts investigations into allegations of officer misconduct; propose changes to, approves, or rejects current or proposed Department policies; and removes the Chief of Police for cause, as well as other duties.
Commissioners must meet two criteria:
a. be a resident of the City of Oakland
b. be over the age of 18 by date of first Commission meeting
The Selection Panel strongly encourages formerly incarcerated individuals to apply.
Measure LL prohibits these categories of people from serving: current sworn police officers; current city employees; former Department sworn employees; current or former employees, officials, or representatives of an employee association representing sworn police officers; attorneys with pending claim or lawsuit against the Department; and attorneys who have filed a claim or lawsuit against the Department that was resolved during the past year.
Applications are available at https://www.oaklandca.gov/boards-commissions/police-commission.
Applications will be accepted until June 16, 2020, when the Selection Panel will begin to interview candidates. Appointments will be made no later than October 16, 2020. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Note: this post based on a press release from The City of Oakland to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab
- 2021 NFL First Round Mock Draft By Dave Squires
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is A Success By Derrick Soo
- First Flight of the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter: Live from Mission Control
- LIVE: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team — 4/19/21
- WHITE HOUSE LIVE CAM – Washington D.C. | USA | earthTV®
- USS Oakland (LCS-24) Commissioning Ceremony
- Capolow Talks Oakland, The Bay Area, Having His Own Strain, Signing To Cinematic
- USS Oakland (LCS 24) Joins the Fleet
- Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo Protest – Oakland 4/16
- Oakland A’s 2021 Final Out and Win Celebration VS Detroit Tigers 4/17/21
- Oakland Pre-K Through 6th Grade Classes Set to Reopen Monday
- Port of Oakland Drone Flight 4K
- Resurrection Oakland Church | April 18, 2021. 10am
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol