City of Oakland Dedicates MacArthur Boulevard Gateway Arches In Eastmont Neighborhood.
Oakland, CA – City of Oakland City Council Vice Mayor Larry Reid (District 7) and Oakland Councilmember Loren Taylor (District 6) dedicated the MacArthur Boulevard Gateway Arches, the newest City-funded public artwork last week, November 8th. Two colorful, 45-foot-wide, site-specific roadway arches have been installed along MacArthur Boulevard. The Oakland arch (located near Durant Avenue) greets motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians as they travel into Oakland from the south, while the Eastmont arch (located near 73rd Avenue) welcomes visitors and residents traveling into deep East Oakland.
“I want to thank the residents of Las Palmas and Toler Heights for their hard work, diligence and patience for seeing this project to completion,” said Vice Mayor Larry Reid, who represents Council District 7 where the Oakland arch is located. “I want to especially thank Jean Blacksher of Toler Heights, the late Gloria Jeffries of Las Palmas and Pat Mossburg on my staff who gave so much time and energy on this exciting project.”
“The Eastmont name on the arch is an important display of community identity, pride and unity,” said Councilmember Loren Taylor, who represents Oakland Council District 6 where the Eastmont arch is located. “East Oakland has a distinct culture known around the world and the completion of these arches is an essential step to uplifting our business corridors to the prominence East Oakland residents deserve.”
At the dedication ceremony, the Oakland elected officials were joined by Oakland Public Art Advisory Committee Co-Chair Charmin Roundtree-Baaqee, Selection Panel community member Jean Blacksher and others.
The Eastmont arches were commissioned by the City of Oakland’s Public Art Program and were hand-painted and crafted by East Bay artist Eric Powell. Mr. Powell was selected from a pool of qualified artists by a selection panel comprised of local arts and community representatives.
Funding for the MacArthur Boulevard Gateway Arches comes from the City of Oakland’s Public Art Ordinance that allocates 1.5% of the City’s Capital Improvement Projects to Public Art. In this case, the artwork was the Public Art component for the MacArthur Streetscape project, and received additional financial support for installation in the form of a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) grant for capital improvements in the Eastmont neighborhood.
MacArthur Boulevard Gateway Arches Artwork Description
Mr. Powell transformed the existing arches into elegant, welcoming gateways for East Oakland. Composed of 40 hand-painted, cut steel panels, the two 45-foot-wide arches span MacArthur Boulevard, creating a visual continuity between the Eastmont community at 73rd Avenue and the Oakland border at Durant Avenue. Each arch evokes positive, uplifting feelings that invite people to enter and celebrate the neighborhoods along the MacArthur Boulevard corridor.
About the City of Oakland Cultural Affairs Division
The City of Oakland Cultural Affairs Division is housed in the City’s Economic & Workforce Development Department. The division includes the City’s cultural funding program, which provides approximately $1 million in grants to support the arts in Oakland; the public art program, which has more than $1 million in funds currently dedicated for public art installations across Oakland and staff working on special events, film production permitting and a walking tours program.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malik As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021
- Xanadu, Primus, A Tribute to Kings, Berkeley, CA., October 15, 2021 October 16, 2021
- Primus – “Jilly’s On Smack” – Live 10-15-2021 – The Greek Theatre – Berkeley, CA October 16, 2021
- Primus – Shake Hands with Beef – 2021-10-15 Berkeley, CA October 16, 2021
- Garbage Pickup Gone Wrong: How the City of Berkeley is “cleaning” curbside communities October 16, 2021
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 10/17/21 October 16, 2021
- 2591 Leimert Blvd Oakland, CA 94602 October 16, 2021
- Before & After Staging of 2840 Carmel St Oakland│ Realtor Sheila Zarekari │ Just Local Homes October 16, 2021
- Our First Ever Offseason! | Oakland Roots Expansion NBA 2k22 | #2 October 16, 2021
- HSN | Shopping with Colleen – Let’s Holiday 10.16.2021 – 01 PM October 16, 2021
- All of Our Goals Are Ahead of Us | Raiders vs. Broncos | Week 6 | Trailer | NFL October 16, 2021
- Friday Ratings: Baseball Playoffs Dominate The Demo Wars, But ‘Blue Bloods” Still The Viewership Kin October 16, 2021