Oakland, CA – Last week, the City Of Oakland Cultural Affairs Division in the Economic & Workforce Development Department convened the inaugural cohort of Cultural Strategists-in-Government (CSIG) pilot program. Seven individuals, rooted in the realm of culture, artmaking and aesthetic practices of Oakland’s various communities, will bring new perspectives and skills to five City departments over the next year. Their engagement will help infuse City practices with new creative and culturally-competent thinking and problem-solving to promote civic belonging and well-being.
“These creative minds working with our city government will help us develop new solutions to old problems,” said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf. “The Cultural Strategists pilot program moves us closer together as a community, and reminds all residents that in Oakland, everyone belongs.”
City Of Oakland Cultural Strategists-in-Government are thought partners who understand that sharing their cultural knowledge is a way of serving their community and the greater community of Oakland.
Candice Wicks-Davis – City Of Oakland Department of Race & Equity
Candice is an artist and equity and social justice consultant who uses art to provoke emotion and inspire actions and solutions. She is the founder and CEO of Edutainment for Equity. The Department of Race & Equity’s Equity Indicator Report from July 2018 identified the Black community as the most impacted by racial disparities. Candice will work with the department to deepen the awareness of how anti-black bias/racism operates structurally and advance efforts to dismantle inequitable systems.
Chelsea Burton – City Of Oakland Planning & Building Department
Chelsea is a documentarian specializing in engaging diverse communities in dialogue around social and geographic change. Chelsea is a Program Manager at Vital Arts. Chelsea will work with the Planning & Building Department to establish an ongoing means of communicating, ideating and documenting concepts that capture the shared values of Oakland’s diverse community members.
Elena Serrano – City Of Oakland Department of Transportation
Elena is a producer, presenter and community organizer with a focus on East Oakland. She is a Program Director at the EastSide Arts Alliance & Cultural Center. Elena will work with the Department of Transportation to identify how Oakland’s community members can reclaim a share of the public realm through community building activities that can be conducted in public spaces.
Hodari Davis – City Of Oakland Department of Transportation
Hodari uses literary, media and inter-disciplinary arts as a part of his community engagement efforts in Oakland. He is the CEO & Senior Facilitator at Edutainment for Equity. Hodari will work with the Department of Transportation to identify how Oakland’s community members can reclaim a share of the public realm through community engagement activities.
Michelle “Mush” Lee – City Of Oakland Human Services Department
Mush is a poet, educator and arts & culture advocate. She is the founding CEO of Whole Story Group, Inc. Mush will work with the Human Services Department to encourage a transformative internal dialogue about best practices through an equity lens, help build staff capacity and shift the cultural narrative about health, hope and belonging in Oakland.
Rosesharon Oates – City Of Oakland Human Services Department
Rosesharon is a visual artist, restorative justice consultant and holistic health educator. Rosesharon will work with the Human Services Department to design a creative holistic element to the second cycle of ReCAST (Oakland Resiliency in Communities After Stress and Trauma), where the mission is to build resiliency and equity in communities that have been impacted by high levels of violence, trauma and civil unrest.
Sabereh Kashi – City Of Oakland Mayor’s Office on Housing Security
Sabereh is a documentary filmmaker passionate about her community members having equitable access to safe, affordable, and stable housing in Oakland. She will work with the Mayor’s Office on Housing Security to encourage dialogue amongst community members about Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs or “in-law units”), share knowledge and inspire property owners to consider the positive community benefits of building ADUs, while developing answers to real questions around the process.
The pilot program began with a call for applications and three informational workshops in early December 2018. More than 50 applications were received before the January 7 deadline. Submitted Cultural Strategist applications were reviewed by Cultural Affairs staff together with the partnering department. In February 2019, eleven finalists were interviewed by a combination of staff from the Cultural Affairs Division and partnering departments.
While initial plans called for the engagement of five Cultural Strategists, strong interest by leadership in the Department of Transportation and the Human Services Department resulted in both of those departments sponsoring one additional placement each.
For their individual engagements, each strategist will receive $10,000. The funding for this program came from a special one-time appropriation by the Oakland City Council in the Adopted FY 2018-19 Midcycle Budget.
The CSIG program is one of two pilot initiatives launched as first implementation steps of “Belonging in Oakland: A Cultural Development Plan” that was adopted by City Council in July 2018. The other pilot initiative, Neighborhood Voices grant program, resulted in the award of $80,000 in grants to eight Oakland-based nonprofit organizations to lift up seldom-heard voices in our neighborhoods by supporting the expression, recognition and understanding of the array of diverse communities that make our city unique, vibrant and resilient.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Close Pass on Grand Ave in Oakland near Lake Merritt October 24, 2021
- 2 cars in flooded off ramp in San Francisco October 24, 2021
- Bay Area Forecast: Atmospheric River Brings Gusty Winds, Heavy Rain to the Bay Area October 24, 2021
- Nightly News Full Broadcast – October 24th October 24, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts Live stream – Colts vs 49ers NFL Live October 24, 2021
- The Houston Astros Advance to the WORLD SERIES!!! October 24, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers vs. Indianapolis Colts HIGHLIGHTs | NFL Week 7 – October 24, 2021 October 24, 2021
- Boston Celtics vs Houston Rockets – Full Game Highlights | October 24, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 24, 2021
- NBA DFS Picks 10/24/21 | Live Before Lock October 24, 2021
- 76ERS at THUNDER | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 24, 2021 October 24, 2021
- Seth Curry with 28 Points, 7 threes & the DAGGER vs Thunder 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green UNREAL 30 points, 8 threes highlights vs Celtics 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Having a DUNKFEST 🔥 Back to back NASTY Dunks October 24, 2021
- By Not Having The NFL, Oakland Misses Free Marketing That San Francisco Enjoys For SNF October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE: San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts Live stream – Colts @ 49ers Live October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia 76ers vs Oklahoma City Thunder – Full Game Highlights | October 24, 2021 NBA Season October 24, 2021
- Seth Curry SHUSHING THE OKC CROWD with 7th Three October 24, 2021
- NFL REACTS TO LAS VEGAS RAIDERS BEATING PHILADELPHIA EAGLES | LAS VEGAS RAIDERS WINS 33-22 October 24, 2021
- BEARS VS BUCS (Live Reaction) – Tom Brady 600th Passing TD October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Levitates for the Dunk to Give Him 28 Pts in the Game! October 24, 2021
- Moscone rain shelter at capacity October 24, 2021
- GO EAGLES! / Philadelphia vr Las Vegas Raiders October 24, 2021
- ‘That was a shocker!’ | Neville gives damning verdict on Man Utd October 24, 2021
- “Welcome to the League” Joel Embiid HARD Foul on rookie Josh Giddey October 24, 2021
- 49ers Get the Interception in the Red Zone! October 24, 2021
- Moritz Wagner With the NASTY DUNK Over Obi Toppin October 24, 2021
- San Anselmo Creek could flood October 24, 2021
- Storm Sends Trees Crashing Down Across San Francisco October 24, 2021
- NFL DFS Showdown Live Before Lock SNF Week 7 Colts vs. 49ers Showdown | October 17 October 24, 2021
- Matt Nagy on loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- 49ers vs Colts Live Streaming Scoreboard, Play-By-Play, 49ers Highlights, Updates, Stats| NFL Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Rain Not Bothering the Colts October 24, 2021
- Who’s to blame for the Eagles’ terrible defense against the Raiders | Eagles Postgame Live October 24, 2021
- NFL PICKS: New Orleans Saints vs Seattle Seahawks | 🏈 NFL Best Bets | NFL Picks Today October 24, 2021
- Al Horford Teaches Rookie Alperen Sengun A Lesson 👀 October 24, 2021
- Candal Vigil for Halyna Hutchinsn After Fatal Shooting October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE : San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts | NFL 2021 Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Victory Speech: Sean McVay Hands Out Game Balls After Week 7 Win vs. Lions October 24, 2021
- Coach Bisaccia, Carr, Ngakoue, Moreau, Miller and Drake Postgame Presser | Week 7 | Raiders | NFL October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021