Oakland, CA – On Tuesday, November 5 and Wednesday, November 6, the owner of an approximately 4-acre parcel of land in West Oakland will begin a clean-up process on its property to enable it to lease the land to the City of Oakland, at no cost, for use as a Safe RV Parking Site for the next two or three years.
The parcel, which is immediately adjacent to an encampment running along Wood Street in Oakland, has been inhabited for the past 18 months by campers living in RVs, busses, and other vehicles and structures. The property has also become a dumping ground for abandoned vehicles and large amounts of trash and debris.
In order to begin construction of the Safe RV Parking Facility, the owner and the City of Oakland will completely clear and grade the site. Once the land is cleared and graded, fencing, electrical service, and other amenities will be installed. The campers currently living in RV’s on the property will be encouraged to join a waiting list to move back onto the property as soon as the new facility opens.
“We are excited about cleaning up the property to allow it to be used to address the homeless crisis that is impacting this community—especially the impact of RVs parked all over West Oakland neighborhoods,” said Pat Smith, who represents the owner. “The first step is to remove all of the vehicles currently on the property, and we have asked the City of Oakland’s Vehicle Abatement Unit for assistance in this process as required under the State Vehicle Code.”
During the past month, Oakland Police Department personnel have identified 139 vehicles parked illegally on the property that need to be removed. More than 100 of the vehicles on the property are in various states of disrepair, either partially dismantled, inoperable, or vehicles that appear to have been dumped on the lot.
City of Oakland outreach workers began contacting campers on the property in August 2019 to discuss the plan to convert the area to a safe parking facility. Since then, outreach workers have been offering campers the opportunity to move onto other Safe RV Parking facilities while the construction takes place. During the operation, the City of Oakland has made arrangements to avoid impounding vehicles that serve as residences and, in the days leading up to the operation, the City of Oakland has redoubled its outreach efforts on site in order to assure a smooth transition.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders News : NT Kendal Vickers Move Up To 53 Man Roster | Mariota Activated For Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021