The Serena Williams vs Naomi Osaka Australian Open match was punctuated not just by the amazing play of the record-holder in prize money that is Ms. Osaka in winning 6-3, 6-4 over THE QUEEN, but the eruption of anger Twitter users expressed with commentator Chris Evert Lloyd, AKA Chris Evert.
BREAKING NEWS: Engine On Fire on United Airlines B-777 Bound For Hawaii.
Ms. Evert, the American former world No. 1 tennis player that this blogger has long rooted for (except when she played against Martina Navratilova), was seemingly stuck on making Serena Williams out to be a drama queen. That, even though no one called Williams’s previous opponent, 6-foot-tall Aryna Sabalenka, a crybaby for yelling in Russian and slamming her racket to the court with such force, she caused a tiny earthquake. Not kidding, look:
Serena Williams never catches a break with the older white television announcer crew, and this time it was so obvious, millions of viewers would have been happy if Chris Evert’s mic were shut off, for good. I am a fan of Chris Evert, so this is not fun to write; it’s more of a wake-up call for her.
Take a look at these tweets.
Chris Evert really needs a new job other than riding Serena all match
— Danny Says (@DanielonMeds) February 18, 2021
Yea…..if you don’t pay attention to the commentary you rarely catch it. But I’ve been watching for so long I catch and listen to everything they say. Chris Evert though is by far the worse of that whole crew
— ✨⚡️? *S. Janelle* ???? (@S_JanelleB) February 18, 2021
love how chris evert is finally trending for being a horrendous commentator
— mister twister (@mistert19066387) February 18, 2021
Yes they were! https://t.co/nkuB6MXawQ
— BJ Jones (@InsideHBCUFball) February 18, 2021
I really don’t like how Chris Evert talks about Serena. Am I the only one?
— Matt Hodler (@MHodler) February 18, 2021
can’t believe they have jealous spiteful hatin ass chris evert on the call
— alexis robinson (@_alexismarie24) February 18, 2021
Is there a way to mute Chris Evert? With all of the technology in world how have we not solved for this? #AustralianOpen2021
�� Richelle Tucker, Esq. (@richellejtucker) February 18, 2021
I can’t watch Serena because of Chris Evert, she is the most racist/jealous against Serena. She always the commentator for everyone of her games, why? From the look of these comments, I’m not alone noticing her jealous behavior.
— Sister_64 (@sister_64) February 18, 2021
Do the commentators hate Serena???
— Lil Wow Wow ✨ (@Flowerchiiile) February 18, 2021
I was really rooting for Serena I think I started to “invest” in her success right after she had her daughter and was told her uniform was not approved. Then I really learned how a sport and ingrained racism is approved by society. What Chris Evert said today was just that racism
— AppelquistP (@AppelquistP) February 18, 2021
Maybe it’s time for Chris Evert to take her racism and jealousy and retire. Her commentary isn’t interesting and it’s clearly biased. I’m tired of her. Maybe it’s time for someone younger with a fresh approach! Networks, ATP are you listening?
— No It’s Not (@noitsnottt) February 18, 2021
Naomi is the best player in the game and if on her A-game no one is going to beat her in the next ten years. Serena is Willie Mays in 1973, fading greatness. I can’t see Serena ever beating her. Chris Evert is a biased, mediocre broadcaster.
— George Glennon (@GeorgeGlennonG2) February 18, 2021
Deleted negative Chris Evert tweet. Time to move on. Congrats to Naomi and the GOAT Serena. Beautiful, powerful, talented Black women.
— Juju (@juju_bad) February 18, 2021
And that wasn’t even half of the total number of tweets completely hating on Chris Evert. Knowing ESPN’s current economic problems, the match producers probably encouraged Chris Evert to aim negative comments at Serena Williams, just for social media attention for the program.
A better approach would be for Chris to take us inside the mind of Serena, and the technical aspect of her game, and why is it or is not working. Audiences today are very smart, and would appreciate such a perspective.
UPDATE: Chris Evert Responds To Twitter Criticism, At Least To One Person, While Others Come To Her Defense
Because you’re my friend my response was, she was either showing gratitude for their support or saying goodbYe to The Australian Open. Period. https://t.co/ToqhfjLnn7
— Chris Evert (@ChrissieEvert) February 18, 2021
@ChrissieEvert please retire. Viewers frankly deserve better than you can offer at this point. You've had a long career in tennis and, at a certain point, you're just overstaying your welcome. Also, anyone who watched that match live understood what you're implying #justop
— Reginald Powell (@theresultsphase) February 18, 2021
You really should learn some respect. And strongly consider apologizing for this trolling.
— JC- ⭕️ (@JoshCohenRadio) February 18, 2021
But your reaction isn't remotely genuine. It's the same trolling that people do with Troy Aikmen/Joe Buck. Unfounded and unwarranted hating isn't legit criticism.
— NC-Skins (@skins_nc) February 18, 2021
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Of Recalling Mayor Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021