Chris Dobbins, the Oakland-based lawyer who sits on the board of directors of the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority, was the guest on Zennie62 YouTube Live, Monday, June 4th, at 8:30 PM PST.
The talk, which lasted for just over an hour of the 1:22:55 livestream that you can watch above, was wide-ranging, but started with updates on the Oakland Raiders Lease Extension negotiations. Dobbins confirmed that, while there was word that the Raiders had sought a temporary stadium solution in San Diego, that they were going to remain in Oakland until the Las Vegas Stadium is ready. “(Coliseum JPA Executive Director) Scott McKibben has been meeting with them,” Dobbins said, “there’s a deadline of June 30th. We’re (the Coliseum JPA) going to meet on June 15th, and we’ll see where it goes from there.”
Dobbins also explained that “there are a lot of people upset with the Raiders” (over the NFL’s Las Vegas Relocation decision that will cost Oakland 2,000 jobs per game when they leave), but the board’s feelings range from (former Oakland Councilmember) Ignacio De La Fuente, who wanted to give them a less costly deal in (exchange for some concessions), to Oakland District Seven Councilmember Larry Reid, who at one point just plain “Wanted the Raiders outta here,” Dobbins said, but has since softened his feelings enough to get a lease deal done with the NFL team.
On the matter of the Athletics, Dobbins said the A’s made a political mistake in trying to push a stadium development at Laney College, which didn’t want it. The Oakland lawyer remarked that the best place for a new Oakland A’s Stadium was The Coliseum, not Howard Terminal, in his personal view. “You have a place (in the Coliseum Complex) with an amazing advantage, close to the airport,” Dobbins said, “right off the freeway, why not use it?”
Oakland Coliseum Naming Rights Hangups
Dobbins also informed Zennie62 fans that Mr. McKibben has been working on a naming rights agreement but has not been able to find a partner to date. When this blogger asked why, Dobbins said “Money. We want more money. We’ve got, what, $1.5 million per year in our last deal? Dobbins feels the Coliseum can get a better agreement than it’s had in the past.
Will Oakland File A Lawsuit Against The Raiders And The NFL?
The most-asked question on the Zennie62 on YouTube Livestream Show, was if the Coliseum JPA or the City of Oakland and, or Alameda County were going to file a lawsuit against the Oakland Raiders and the National Football League. Dobbins said that the Coliseum JPA itself did not have the board votes to proceed with a lawsuit last fall. “I voted for it, the County of Alameda members (on the Coliseum board of directors) voted for it. But the City-side (referring to the City of Oakland representatives on the Coliseum JPA) didn’t want to do it,” Dobbins said. Now, the City’s trying to determine if they’re going to do it, and I don’t know where they are with that.
Two Oakland City Hall sources recently told Zennie62Media that the City was “close” to filing a lawsuit, but did not define what “close” meant – next week, or next month?
Zennie62 on YouTube Livestream Show Sunday – Thursday
The Zennie62 on YouTube Livestream Show is Sunday through Thursday of each week and generally at 8:30 PM PST / 11:30 PM EST. Subscribe to Zennie62 on YouTube and then press the notifications bell to receive a message when the livestream starts. You can also view the livestream directly from the Zennie62Media blogs Zennie62.com, Oakland News Online, and Oakland News Now.
On Wednesday, June 6ths, Zennie62Media’s guest on the Zennie62 on YouTube Livestream Show will be Rick Velotta of the Las Vegas Review Journal, and at 8:30 PM PST. We will talk about the progress of the Raiders Las Vegas Relocation, and also how Las Vegas itself is changing, as it seems to be losing its iron grip on the gambling industry.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nba Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons- By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime