Caught Cat Brooks for a 37 minute interview from her mountain perch and via the Zennie62Media network. The actress that become activist, and almost the Mayor of Oakland (I still think Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and Cat must have lunch and really get to know each other, but I digress), was in, as she told me, a “good space” at what looks like a really relaxing place to be (unless you happen to be me, but that’s another story, yet again). After talking about her play “The Black House”, we talked about Oakland Politics (she even took a shot at my long-time friend Sam Singer but he would be a great hired media gun for Cat if she called to hire him, just saying) and turned to the really sad tale of Ginale Harris.
Ginale Harris, if you follow the doings of the Oakland Police Commission, was the board member who was wrongly investigated by her own Oakland Police Department, and the mistake-of-a-hire-by-Libby Anne Kirkpatrick, the now former Oakland Police Chief. Given that the Oakland Police Chief Kirkpatrick and the now-former Oakland Chief Administrative Officer Sabrina Landreth both placed unecessary and intimidating pressure on Harris, and in truth because she was critical of Kirkpatrick and OPD, it is complete sad to learn that she will not be back on the Police Commission.
And in our talk, Brooks pointed the finger of blame at the Oakland Coalition For Police Accountability.
If you do not know what the Oakland Coalition For Police Accountability is, here’s the official description from its website:
The mission of the Coalition for Police Accountability (“the Coalition” or CPA) is to advocate for accountability of the Oakland Police Department to the community so that the Oakland Police Department operates with equitable, just, constitutional, transparent policies and practices that reflect the values and engender the trust of the community.
In furtherance of its mission as stated herein, the Coalition will:
Monitor the implementation of Measure LL and the activities of the Oakland Police Commission
Inform and educate the community on issues related to policing policies and practices in Oakland
In addition, the Coalition will offer to support efforts by other communities to establish oversight of their respective police departments by community members. The Coalition may also engage with like-minded groups to pursue or support local, county, and state initiatives or candidates whose objectives are to ensure the protection of civil liberties, promote effective public safety strategies, and advocate for a fair, transparent, and accountable criminal justice system.
The membership leaders are listed as:
Pamela Drake, President
Sheryl Walton, Secretary
Len Raphael, Treasurer
And from the website:
Rashidah Grinage is the Coordinator for the Advisory body referred to as the Coalition for Police Accountability. Our Steering Committee members are Bruce Schmiechen, Terri McWiliams, Cathy Leonard, Pamela Drake, Michael Tigges, Larry White, Henry Gage III, Saied Karamooz, Mariano Contreras, Elise Bernstein, and Allene Warren.
From the street level view, Rashidah Grinage, who’s a friend that has been on this network several times, is also the person Brooks pointed to as “leading the charge” to get Ginale Harris, out. I have not yet reached out to Rashidah Grinage for her take on this (heck, the interview was just yesterday) but now I am, in a way. Also, here’s a video talk with Rashidah Grinage from this year:
Given that Ginale Harris is black, and Rashidah Grinage, Pamela Drake, and Len Raphael are white (Walton is black, and Brooks mentioned (by my prodding) Rashidah Grinage, as “leading the charge” against the single, Black, mother that is Ginale Harris is a bad look, to say the least.
As I understand it, Oakland District Three Councilmember Lynette Gibson McElhaney can lead the charge to reserve this and get Ginale Harris back on the Oakland Police Commission – but will she?
Lynette has give challengers for her seat, one of them is Brooks’ friend Carroll Fife. There’s no standard campaigning this time due to The Pandemic. If I were Lynette, I get to work on reinstalling Ginale Harris to the Police Commission, now.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- LIVE: President Biden delivers remarks before he travels to the G20 in Italy October 28, 2021
- Sirocco Mediterranean Restaurant Mukbang | Food Critic Series #mukbang #foodnetwork #foodie #greek October 28, 2021
- Armorer On ‘Rust’ Shooting: ‘This Should Not Have Ever Happened’ October 28, 2021
- Patriots @ Chargers- Sunday 10/31/21- NFL Betting Picks and Predictions | Picks & Parlays October 28, 2021
- NFL Week 8 2021 Picks Straight up and Against The Spread October 28, 2021
- Chicago Mayor: Vaccinations The Only Way To Have A Safe Workplace October 28, 2021
- Yum! Brands, Comcast, Merck all beat in Q3 — here’s why October 28, 2021
- Pharrell Williams talks his nonprofit and improving education October 28, 2021
- GDP disappoints in Q3 as supply chain takes a toll on growth October 28, 2021
- Oil company executives to testify on climate change October 28, 2021
- NBA Betting Today Thursday 10/28 PICKS + PROPS + SPORTS BETTING PREDICTIONS October 28, 2021
- Why Joe Biden’s historically low approval ratings matter October 28, 2021
- Avlon calls out Cruz’s attempt at defending Nazi salutes October 28, 2021
- Russia Enters Covid Lockdown As New Cases Surge October 28, 2021
- Sexy Cut Out Dress On Sale New Arrivals/ Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends October 28, 2021
- LAS VEGAS RAIDERS OWNER MARK DAVIS SPEAKS OUT ABOUT JON GRUDEN FULL VIDEO October 28, 2021
- She Scammed Sports Stars Out Of Millions? | American Greed [BONUS EDITION] October 28, 2021
- Stanley Black & Decker CEO Loree on supply chain issues, inflation October 28, 2021
- Trump statement makes waves in Virginia governor’s race October 28, 2021
- LIVE: US Oversight Committee hearing on Big Oil and the climate crisis October 28, 2021
- FULL MATCH – Seth Rollins vs. Erick Rowan – Falls Count Anywhere Match: Raw, Oct. 28, 2019 October 28, 2021
- Battlefield 2042 Gameplay – First Look At Renewal, Breakaway and Discarded Maps October 28, 2021
- ETF Spotlight: Consumer Staples, XLP October 28, 2021
- ALDS vs Athletics – MLB The Show 21 – GM Mode Commentary – Detroit Tigers – Ep.52 October 28, 2021
- Tom Hanks crashes beach wedding October 28, 2021
- Carrier CEO on supply chain disruptions, company outlook October 28, 2021
- BREAKING: All countries to be removed from travel red list October 28, 2021
- DraftKings NFL Thursday Night Football Week 8 Showdown Picks & Lineups | Packers Cardinals Tonight October 28, 2021
- Public hearing on Afghan women at the EU Committee on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality October 28, 2021
- 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 – Walkaround | NewsAuto October 28, 2021
- Monday Night Football Memories & Meaning | Defending The Kingdom 10/28 October 28, 2021
- Yum Brands CEO on Q3 same-store sales miss, U.S. labor crunch October 28, 2021
- New COVID vaccination timeline for children 5 to 11 October 28, 2021
- Former NHL player reveals himself as victim of sexual assault in new lawsuit October 28, 2021
- The Rich Sports Report #5: MLB World Series, NFL Week 8, and Early NBA Takes October 28, 2021
- FREE Basketball 10/28/21 Picks and Predictions Today NBA Betting Tips and Analysis October 28, 2021
- Pending home sales falls 2.3% in September, below estimates October 28, 2021
- Overstock CEO: We are in good shape for the holidays despite supply chain issues October 28, 2021
- Oil execs head to Capitol Hill to face questions on climate change October 28, 2021
- Democrats race to finalize Biden’s infrastructure deal ahead of foreign trip October 28, 2021