Oakland, CA – Oakland Unified School District is in mourning after learning that former Superintendent Carole Quan passed away after a battle with cancer. Quan led the District from 1997 to 1999 after spending a lifetime being educated in and then working for OUSD. She attended Franklin Elementary, Roosevelt Junior High, and she graduated from Oakland High.
Former Superintendent Carole Quan.
After college, the lifelong Oakland resident became an educator. She began her teaching career as a substitute, before becoming a full-time special education teacher. Quan taught at Lockwood Elementary (now CUES and Futures Elementary) and Lincoln Elementary. She transitioned into administration at Lincoln Elementary, Piedmont Avenue Elementary, Franklin Elementary and Joaquin Miller Elementary. Quan was a principal, then later, assistant superintendent, and finally, she made history when the OUSD Board of Education appointed her Superintendent in the late 1990s. Quan became the first Asian American woman to lead one of the nation’s largest school districts. Remarkably, she was a kindergarten student in Oakland 50 years before becoming Superintendent.
“I loved her. She was a very special person,” said emeritus principal, Denise Saddler, who worked closely with Superintendent Quan as City Schools Coordinator. “I think of an educator’s educator. She was a mentor to everyone in the district, and she cared about all students. No matter who you were, she made you feel like you were known to her personally. She always remembered birthdays. In fact, I got a birthday card from her just last year.”
Saddler added more personal memories about her friend, “She loved, loved, loved, loved desserts. That was her thing. She was a very active Christian, and a sharp dresser! She dressed to the nines all the time. She created a family environment for OUSD staff, where you felt like you were truly part of her family and the OUSD family.”
Saddler said on Quan’s final day in office, many staff members assembled to bid her farewell, and her family picked her up in a limousine.
Quan’s mother attended Oakland schools, as did her daughters, Holly and Heidi. Holly is a reporter at KCBS Radio in San Francisco who said, “Coming from a family of strong women, my sister and I could not have had a better role model. Through her success, Mom taught us tenacity and grace while nurturing in us a fierce pride in our hometown. From tailgating at A’s and Raiders games to feeding the ducks at Lake Merritt to turning the Magic Keys at Fairyland, she was a daughter of Oakland to the end.”
“Superintendent Quan represented the community with passion and singular dedication,” said Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell. “She always put students first, was there for our staff in every way, and was a role model, being the pioneering Asian American education leader that she was. We are a better school district for having had her decades of service in the classroom and in leadership. On behalf of the District, I send my deepest condolences to Ms. Quan’s family, friends, and OUSD co-workers.”
Plans for a memorial for Carole Quan are pending. She was a big supporter of the Chabot Space & Science Center, and because of that relationship, the Center has created an endowment fund in her name to support an outstanding science teacher every year.
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 81 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Post based on press release from OUSD to Zennie62Media.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Cincinnati Reds vs Pittsburgh Pirates Highlights September 27, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 28, 2021
- Chevron Ecuador’s Steven Donziger And Theranos Elizabeth Holmes Have Fraud In Common September 28, 2021
- Rebecca Kaplan and Noel Gallo Oakland CMs Call For Approval Of AASEG Oakland Coliseum Term Sheet September 28, 2021
- City of Oakland Missing Out On TENS OF MILLIONS Of Cannabis Taxes by Derrick Soo September 28, 2021
- Squash: Coll v Farag – Men’s Final Roundup – Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 September 28, 2021
- Loop Capital CEO Jim Reynolds Tells CNBC How He’s Diversifying His Firm In 2020 Interview September 28, 2021
- Frank Somerville Suspended By KTVU Update – Oakland’s Dr. Elnora T. Webb, PhD Op Ed September 28, 2021
- Zion Williamson injured and will miss preseason September 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Move Up In The Top 5 In The NFL Power Rankings September 28, 2021
- Gabby Petito Family Press Conference On Today September 28 2021 1:05 PM EST via CNN September 28, 2021
- How We Can Win Texas and Florida in 2022 with Shaniqua McClendon September 28, 2021
- Frank Somerville Suspended Update: KTVU’s Amber Eikel Avoids Social Media Blasts After Action September 28, 2021
- Davey D Rants on Mayor Ron Dellums After Oakland Oscar Grant Murder, Riots For Not Talking To Media September 28, 2021
- TikTok Video: Brian Laundrie Hitchhiking on August 29th, But Where Was Gabby Petito? September 28, 2021
- Reagan Shooter John Hinckley Granted Release From Court Supervision September 28, 2021
- Squash: Hany v Sobhy – Women’s Finals Roundup – Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 September 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders – Is Everyone Being Vetted Before Entering Allegiant Stadium? By Joseph Armendariz September 28, 2021
- National Voter Registration Day is today September 28, 2021
- National Voter Registration day is today! September 28, 2021
- Tuesday is National Voter Registration Day: Where can you register to vote? September 28, 2021
- National Voter Registration Day! September 28, 2021
- News to Go – Events Today for National Voter Registration Day September 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Is RB Peyton Barber The Reason For Trey Ragas Release? By Joseph Armendariz September 28, 2021
- Oakland Athletics vs Seattle Mariners Highlights September 27, 2021 September 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Running BackTrey Ragas Waived By The Raiders But Why? By Joseph Armendariz September 28, 2021