The steps that first-generation leaders like [California governor Jerry] Brown have taken are too small to meet the demands of the moment,” explains renowned activist Bill McKibben in his introduction to the issue. “Yes, Brown is standing up to President Trump, and yes, he’s done more than other governors have. But when it comes to climate change, it’s physics that we must measure ourselves against—and by that standard, we’re losing…. Perhaps we should be prepared to honor [Brown] as a pioneer in the early stages of this fight—not as a leader in its current and future battles.”
Part I of the Special Issue:
The California governor has been a stellar first-generation climate leader, but now science requires leaving fossil fuels in the ground.
Mark Hertsgaard | Jerry Brown vs. the Climate Wreckers: Is He Doing Enough?
The California governor has led the nation in reducing emissions, but activists say he won’t take the next step: leaving fossil fuels in the ground.
We tried to tell you.
Part II of the special issue will be published online tomorrow. These articles appear in the September 24/October 1, 2018, edition of The Nation magazine, on stands next week. PDFs available upon request. Select contributors available for comment. For booking requests or further information, please see contact information above.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- National Small Business Week: Tarik Brooks of Combs Enterprises September 16, 2021
- SBA National Small Business Week: Mayors Supporting Latino-Owned Small Businesses September 16, 2021
- Gabby Petito And Brian Laundrie Last Video – VAN LIFE | Beginning Our Van Life Journey September 16, 2021
- Dr. Sian Proctor First Black Woman to Pilot A Space Mission – SpaceX Flight With All-Amateur Crew September 16, 2021
- SpaceX launch lights up night sky in Florida & Colorado September 16, 2021
- SpaceX Makes History Launching All-Civilian Crew Into Orbit September 16, 2021
- Chris Peeples AC Transit Board Member Oakland Gives Update At Awaken Cafe, Downtown Apr 5, 2016 September 16, 2021
- Cafe 817 Hosts Susan Mernitt,’s Oakland Bloggers Meetup 20th Anniversary Event Tuesday June 26 2013 September 16, 2021
- Modern Coffee Video From Tribune Tower Location In Oakland, 2017 September 16, 2021
- Best Cafes in Downtown Oakland for Digital Nomads By Nnenna Umelloh on YouTube September 16, 2021
- Gallegos Mexican Restaurant West Side Berkeley In YouTube Shorts Vlog September 16, 2021
- Oakland Police New “OPD Is Hiring” Video Latest Effort To Draw New Cops September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Has Derek Carr Become Edgier This Year ? By Joseph Armendariz September 16, 2021
- Derek Carr, Hunter Renfrow, and Maxx Crosby Presser – 9.15.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 16, 2021
- Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints Players Did It For Louisiana September 16, 2021
- Boxing Dana White Says Exhibition Boxing Matches Are A Waste Of Time By Eric Pangilinan September 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders File A Complaint To The NFL For Dirty Hits On Hunter Renfrow By Eric Pangilinan September 15, 2021
- Inspiration4 | Launch September 15, 2021
- North Port PD provides update on Gabby Petito case September 15, 2021
- Missing YouTuber Gabby Petito Case: Cops Say Her Fiancé Is a Person Of Interest | News 4 Now September 15, 2021
- Gabby Petito’s boyfriend named a ‘person of interest’ September 15, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Value of Sean Payton Film Sessions 9/15/21 September 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Bring Back Guard Jordan Simmons By Eric Pangilinan September 15, 2021
- Day after election victory, Newsom visits Oakland to discuss COVID-19 in schools September 15, 2021
- Oakland Gang Wars – Message To The Youth “ They Don’t Know The Consequences Of What They Doing ‼️ September 15, 2021