Not In Seattle – In the Pac-12 North, Cal is tied with Washington, Stanford, and Washington St., and Stanford is #1 just in front of The Golden Bears. That’s not going to last because The Washington Huskies (14th ranked in America) play host to Cal (not in the Top 25) in a late game in Seattle, tonight.
Given what Cal Football showed against the UC Davis Aggies, and what Washington Football produced against Eastern Washington, its going to be a long night for this blogger’s Golden Bears. (Full disclosure: yours truly earned his master’s degree in city planning from Cal and served on the California Alumni Board from 1998 to 2003. Go Bears!)
The reason for the undesired prediction that this is going to be a long night for us Golden Bears Backers, is simple: the Washington Huskies play a brutal brand of football. Against Eastern Washington last Saturday, the Huskies philosophy under Head Coach Christ Peterson was “We’re better, stronger, and faster than you, and our play calling will reflect that.”
It sure did.
Under 21-year-old Junior Quarterback Jabob Eason, Washington was not afraid to challenge Eastern Washington defensive backs downfield. If it wasn’t throwing the timed skinny post for a touchdown, then it was throwing a full-out, 50 yard bomb on a go route. Sure, Washington had its share of off-tackle, fake-read-option runs, but then it also used star running back Richard Newton in a Wildcat Formation during the first drive of the contest and in the red zone. Newton ran up the middle so fast you’d have though he was The Flash, and scored the first touchdown of many to come in that 47 to 14 route. By contrast, Cal was down right sickening to watch against UC Davis.
Cal Played To The Level Of UC Davis And Could Have Lost
That’s the God’s honest truth. Maybe it was a case of looking over UC Davis to Washington, but what ever the reason, Cal’s first half was bad. Cal’s Offense showed every sign of looking like it was going to pick up where it left off last year: last in the Pac-12 North in offense statistics. If you didn’t know better, you’d think UC Davis’ Air Raid Offense was Cal and Cal’s Sorry-Excuse-For-A-Read-Option Offense was UC Davis.
Everything Cal tried in the first quarter failed: a halfback motion swing pass was downed for a loss, while runs off tackle or up the middle were routinely stuffed. Passes downfield? Chase Garbers asked to scare The Aggies with a Long Bomb Throw? Never done. Cal presented an offense that looked like it’s offensive coordinator was afraid to show his best stuff. It wasn’t until the second half that Cal OC Beau Baldwin realized he had a line that could give Garbers time to throw downfield. That, and Christopher Brown Jr picking up 136 yards rushing, was the diffence in Cal’s 27 to 13 win.
With that performance, it’s no wonder Washington’s favored to win at home by 13 points. The one hope in all of this is that Cal’s Defense remembers to blitz early and often, and we give the ball to Christopher Brown Jr and then use play-action passing – then, Cal could escape Seattle with an upset win.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders News : NT Kendal Vickers Move Up To 53 Man Roster | Mariota Activated For Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021