Berkeley, CA. – Contra Costa Building and Construction Trades Council has announced their support of Buffy Wicks as the best candidate to serve as California’s Assemblymember for AD 15. The Council had originally gone neutral in the AD 15 race but issued this endorsement after hearing public comments by both candidates in a debate held by KALW radio on Tuesday, October 2.
“The Contra Costa Building and Construction Trades Council is proud to endorse Buffy Wicks for Assembly District 15,” said Bill Whitney, chief executive officer of the Council. “We need someone with a progressive vision who is also willing to come to the table with all stakeholders, be a leader and get the hard work done. Buffy has the values, credibility and work ethic to stand up for workers rights, single-payer healthcare, affordable housing and public education. I urge East Bay residents to vote ‘Buffy Wicks’ for Assembly.”
During an on-air debate on San Francisco radio station KALW, Jovanka Beckles responded to Buffy’s labor endorsements by challenging the character and commitment to union values of the California Building Trades. Ms. Beckles said, “The majority of the labor unions that have endorsed the opposition are building trades. And unfortunately for them, it’s been interesting, every single City Council race in Richmond the building trades have endorsed the Chevron candidates. In every single election. And so, unfortunately they have not joined in solidarity with the other unions that have endorsed this campaign.”
In her live response, Buffy reiterated her support for unions, stating, “I would never disparage the building trades labor unions. I think these are workers who are out there every single day, they are doing some of the toughest jobs in our state. I think that the work they do is very important, I am very proud to have the building trades supporting me. In addition to that, the United Food and Commercial Workers unions the Firefighters – these are unions that I think are a critical component to our economy. These are workers that I support, that I want to fight for, and that I want to work with. And I’m very proud to have their support.”
The Contra Costa Building and Construction Trades Council represents thirty trade unions with over 30,000 working men and women.
The Contra Costa Building and Construction Trades Council endorsement builds upon strong labor support for Buffy, including the Building and Construction Trades Council of Alameda County, Northern California Carpenters Regional Council, LIUNA Laborers Local 324 and Local 304, Sheet Metal Workers Local 104, Plumbers & Steamfitters UA Local 342, Construction & General Laborers Local Union 304, Sprinkler Fitters & Apprentices Local 483, Heat & Frost Insulators, Allied Workers Local Union 16 and UFCW Local 5.
Other progressive leaders endorsing Buffy include President Barack Obama, United States Senator Kamala Harris, California Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, Richmond Mayor Tom Butt, El Cerrito Mayor Gabriel Quinto, Albany Mayor Peggy McQuaid, Emeryville Mayor John Bauters, Hercules Mayor Chris Kelley, and many other elected and community leaders across the district. In addition, she is endorsed by the East Bay Times and East Bay Express newspapers and the West Contra Costa County and Berkeley Democratic Clubs.
More information on Buffy’s platform and priorities can be found at www.buffywicks.com.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Livestream: Blame To Go Around In Oakland A’s Relocation Threat? Start With Oakland Athletics
- MLB Ask Oakland Athletics To Threaten Relocation – Oakland City Council’s Progressive Wing Steps In
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News
- Watching Amanda Gorman Keynote At Professional Business Woman California Conference 2021
- Ben Barlett Berkeley Councilmember Meetings On Traffic, Fire Safety This Week
- Ultra Black News | Ahmed Muhammad | Oakland Tech’s First Black Male Valedictorian
- Asian American Attacks: Couple Dragged In Brazen Parking Lot Robbery In Oakland
- 5 7 2021 Auto Accident Hit N Run Oakland East 14th & 2nd
- Zennie62 YouTube At 2008 DNC Convention, United Airlines Flight To Denver, Meeting Ashley Wolfe Long
- Kenny Mayne: ESPN Tried To Keep Kenny Mayne For Less But He Said No – No Tears Here
- Andrew Peterson Oakland CIO Gets Harari Conscious Leadership And Social Innovation Award
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave