Berkeley, CA.- Today Jovanka Beckles issued a press release regarding contributions made on her behalf by the California African American PAC, an outside independent expenditure campaign. Chevron, Tesla, Disney, the California Prison Guards and pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly all contributed to the PAC.
Filings show that the California African American PAC listed the contribution on October 25th. Yet, the Beckles campaign chose to make a statement denouncing this corporate money-funded independent expenditure a full week later, only after she had benefited from their spending on her behalf and only after it was called into question by Berkeleyside. Berkeleyside reported about the contributions here and sent out two text campaign updates, calling out the PAC, its funders and stating that “…It turns out that the same sorts of groups Wicks has been criticized for fund an IE…in support of Beckles.” Screenshots of the texts can be found of the texts below.
“Jovanka Beckles has staked her candidacy on this issue, and her statement today is misleading and hypocritical,” said Amelia Matier, campaign manager of Wicks’ for AD 15. “Ms. Beckles had the opportunity do more than just talk the talk, and she failed. The residents of AD 15 deserve better.”
“Buffy has said from day one that she would not accept corporate money, and she has not.” Amelia said. “She has also said throughout this campaign that we urgently need campaign finance reform to get outside money out of politics and that IEs are problematic, corrosive and should not exist. She has been consistent and truthful with voters on this. She has run a positive and truthful campaign, and she has prioritized resources, time and strategy to a grassroots organization to engage and listen to voters. We believe that matters to voters in this District.”
Recently, on the KQED Forum program, Jovanka said people must “follow the money.” She also says candidates who receive money from corporate interests, officially or unofficially, will be influenced.
Wicks said in response (25.28 – – 27.08):
“My opponent has said at many forums, insinuating that I’m owned by the billionaires and that there is billionaire money coming into the race. But here is the truth of the matter. One, I’ve taken no corporate money. Two, I have almost 3,000 donations to my campaign and the median donation amount is $100. Eighty-five percent of my donors have given $500 or less, so the vast majority of the resources coming into my campaign are small dollar donations. I have had people such as Tom Steyer, George Soros and others who have donated to my campaign the maximal amount allowed by law, which is $4400. Those are folks that fund the progressive movement across this country and and support progressive candidates. All of my donors who have donated to my campaign have donated to people like Gavin Newsom and Kamala Harris and other great Democrats up and down this state,” she said.
“The truth of the matter of IEs, there are IEs that are supporting both of us. I don’t like IEs. We need campaign finance reform. No candidate wants an independent expenditure out there communicating for or against them without the candidate having control of that. It is a very difficult thing. We saw it in this race in 2014…we’ve seen in races all across this country. To me it is one of the corrosive part of our politics. We have to get reforms around it. It is made difficult because of the Citizens United decision. I do not like them and I wish there were not involved in the race. It is the reality that we are in. What I can control are the resources that come to my campaign and what I should be judged on is my twenty years working in grassroots politics, working in the labor movement, working as an anti-war organizer, helping to elect the first Black president, working in progressive politics,” said Buffy.
Progressive leaders endorsing Buffy include President Barack Obama, United States Senator Kamala Harris, California Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, Richmond Mayor Tom Butt, El Cerrito Mayor Gabriel Quinto, Albany Mayor Peggy McQuaid, Emeryville Mayor John Bauters, Piedmont Mayor Bob McBain, Hercules Mayor Chris Kelley, world renown labor leader Dolores Huerta, Bart Board member Lateefah Simon and many other elected and community leaders across the district. In addition, she is endorsed by the San Francisco Chronicle, The San Jose Mercury News, and East Bay newspapers and the West Contra Costa County and Berkeley Democratic Clubs. Labor organizations supporting Buffy include the Building and Construction Trades Council of Alameda County, Northern California Carpenters Regional Council, LIUNA Laborers Local 324 and Local 304, Sheet Metal Workers Local 104, Plumbers & Steamfitters UA Local 342, Construction & General Laborers Local Union 304, Sprinkler Fitters & Apprentices Local 483, Heat & Frost Insulators, Allied Workers Local Union 16 and UFCW Local 5.
More information on Buffy’s platform and priorities can be found at www.buffywicks.com.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021
- Former Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Baden On Gabby Petito’s Autopsy Findings September 22, 2021
- Oakland Athletics Unveil 2022 Season Ticket Plans and Pricing by Richard Haick September 22, 2021
- Boxing Canelo Alvarez And Caleb Plant Heated Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- I was hit COVID Delta in East Oakland Homeless Encampment by Derrick Soo September 22, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr With A New Haircut Ready To Play In Week Three By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian & Megan Fox Seductively Pose In Lingerie September 22, 2021
- Coach Gruden, Derek Carr, K.J. Wright and Daniel Carlson Presser – 9.22.21 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 22, 2021
- Zennie62Media Credentialed For CES 2022 Las Vegas And For 12th Year In A Row September 22, 2021
- Daniel Craig Said James Bond Should Not Be A Woman – Here’s Why He’s Right September 22, 2021
- Thomas Espinosa – Oakland Public Ethics Commission Fines Him $309,600 – Here’s Why September 22, 2021
- Marin Supervisor Damon Connolly Stands Up for Immigrant Justice September 22, 2021
- YouTube Studio Was Down Today, Is Back Up Now – What Happened To Cause It? September 22, 2021