Oakland, CA – Tuesday, June 23rd, starting at noon, my colleagues and I will continue our discussion of the Oakland Mid Cycle FY 20-21 Budget Amendments. We are working, in partnership with community, to provide a budget that responds to vital current needs, helping our community, including our local small businesses and non-profits deal with COVID-19 impacts and changes, and also providing safe civilian response to important needs, like mental health, which have been being handled by police.
I have submitted to the Council my proposed FY 20-21 amendments. These include funding for MACRO (civilian mental health response) along with additional strategies for civilianization such as for special events. We propose to support our Information Technology (IT) Department to help implement public WiFi, provide immediate funding to enable the homeless to be placed in hotels, and other options for safe physical distance, improve fire safety, and more.
My Proposed Budget amendment spreadsheet: https://oakland.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=8629225&GUID=60547246-0249-484A-8CB9-03EF40D77B14
Oakland City Council meeting full agenda and instructions on how to join:
MACRO- Mental Health Response
For decades, Oakland’s funding has been reduced for important community needs, but has increased for police. The number of 911 calls to address non-emergencies, especially regarding the mental health situations and the homeless, have skyrocketed. Sending armed officers often escalates the situation rather than solving it.
In the budget last year, with strong community advocacy, I successfully won funding for a study on how best to implement an alternative to police response for mental health, similar to the CAHOOTS program in Eugene, Oregon.
Related Vox News article:
Urban Strategies Council, The Anti Police-Terror Project, Mental Health Commission, Block by Block Organizing Network, Brotherhood of Elders, Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency, Ceasefire, Coalition for Police Accountability, Copwatch, Department of Violence Prevention, Faith in Action, Family Violence Law Center, Frontline Healers, Homeless Advocacy Working Group, Homeless Action Center, Imani Church, Justice Teams Network, Neighbors for Racial Justice, North Oakland Restorative Justice, Qal’Bu Maryam Mosque, Restorative Justice for Oakland Youth, Timelist, Youth Alive and more were engaged in researching the response model, which should be launched this year, in partnership with community.
Homelessness Outreach – by Civilians
Currently, it is often police officers who are the visible lead in issues like homeless encampment communications and cleanings. This is very expensive, and can worsen community relations and lead to escalating outcomes. Our budget proposal provides that homeless outreach worker civilians will serve these roles, rather than police. We share the concern that we have received from so many of you, that we should reject the Mayor’s proposal to take funds from the newly-passed Measure Q (parks/homelessness) to fund police. Our proposal removes that usage, and provides civilian homeless outreach work instead.
I am also asking that we re-consider their proposal for a large expenditure on police helicopter.
See Memo at Link:
Risk from FireWorks
Please be aware that as the weather gets hotter, the risk of fireworks increases, and puts people in danger of fire spreading. Please do not put our community at risk of increased fires! One of the programs I am asking for is to support our Fire Department in expanding fire prevention efforts, including by responding to incidents of uses of fireworks, educating the public about the dangers, and retrieving them when possible, and helping to protect our community.
OUTSIDE USE OF FUNDS FOR CITY PROJECTS
In addition, we have discovered that some donor/grant funding, for city-run projects like homelessness and broadband, have been proposed by the Mayor to be given to an outside organization to manage city projects, with funding being diverted away from delivering service to the public. As we could not find any authorization that was given for this purpose, we have inquired of the City Administrator to track these, and any other grand/donor funds properly, with accountability and transparency for public needs.
See memo at LINK:
In solidarity and best wishes for health,
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL PICKS: Green Bay Packers vs Arizona Cardinals | 🏈 NFL Best Bets | NFL Picks Today October 27, 2021
- Bradley Beal Blows Wide Open Layup Twice – Shaqtin’ A Fool Moment October 27, 2021
- Bay Area Forecast: Great Thursday; More Rain Ahead October 27, 2021
- Authorities Identify Suspect Accused of Stabbing Good Samaritan in San Francisco October 27, 2021
- Top Democrats say a deal on Biden’s social spending plan is imminent, but roadblocks remain October 27, 2021
- California’s unemployment fraud climbs to $20 billion October 27, 2021
- COP26: What to expect at the upcoming U.N. climate summit October 27, 2021
- Santa Fe County Sheriff says Baldwin fired ‘suspected live round’ on ‘Rust’ set October 27, 2021
- Car shortage causes major increase in auto theft October 27, 2021
- ‘He’s A Liar’: Tucker Carlson Makes False Vax Claim As Fox News Colleague Reveals Viewer Death Wish October 27, 2021
- Off-Duty San Jose Officer Accused of Punching Woman During Road Rage Incident: DA October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Live Stream – World Series Game 2 LIVE ⚾️ October 27, 2021
- THURSDAY FORECAST: Chilly overnight, warm daytime temps October 27, 2021
- Paid family leave could be dropped from reconciliation bill due to Manchin’s objection October 27, 2021
- Santa Clara County preparing vaccine rollout for kids aged 5-11 October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Atlanta Braves LIVE 1ST | World Series – Game 2 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- Picks for EVERY BIG Week 8 NFL Game | Picks to Win, Best Bets, & MORE | CBS Sports HQ October 27, 2021
- Malik Monk Dunks With a FEROCIOUS DUNK on Luguentz Dort 👀 🔥 October 27, 2021
- Standout NFL TRADES That Could Happen Before The 2021 NFL Trade Deadline October 27, 2021
- Translator’s Family Stranded in Afghanistan, Desperate And In Danger From Taliban October 27, 2021
- The Atlanta Braves STELLAR PERFORMANCE in the 1995 World Series! October 27, 2021
- Canton woman says Braves World Series is the light she needed after battling cancer October 27, 2021
- [LIVE] Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros | World Series Game 2 – Max Fried vs Jose Urquidy LIVE October 27, 2021
- Kevin Durant & Bam Adebayo Bumping Their Heads During Jumpball 😳 October 27, 2021
- D’Marco Farr Takes A Look At “Superman” Rams CB Jalen Ramsey’s Interception vs. Lions | All-22 October 27, 2021
- Cardinals Folktales | ‘The Coin That Didn’t Flip’ in 2015 (Ep. 5) October 27, 2021
- Gov. Newsom promotes COVID-19 booster shots October 27, 2021
- ⚾️ 【World Series Game 2】 Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros – Live Stream October 27, 2021
- Larry Millete’s phone calls now restricted October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros vs. Atlanta Braves Live stream – Atlanta @ Houston World Series Game 2 Live October 27, 2021
- Fan Scammed. Woman says she shelled out $500 for a World Series ticket she never got October 27, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Predictions For Every Game | Picks, Predictions, & Betting Odds October 27, 2021
- Cole Anthony Has LaMelo Lost & Knocks Down the Three 🔥 October 27, 2021
- 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 – V8 & 670 horsepower makes it the most powerful naturally-aspirated October 27, 2021
- Glenn Youngkin’s Trump Problem | Zerlina. October 27, 2021
- Virginia Governor’s Race Heats Up Amid School Board Controversy October 27, 2021
- Braves vs Astros World Series Game 1 Recap | CBS Sports HQ October 27, 2021
- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan Discusses the Latest on Trey Lance’s Knee and Readiness to Start October 27, 2021
- Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics just 100 days away! October 27, 2021
- Raiders’ Week 7 Victory vs. Philadelphia Eagles | Sounds of the Game | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 27, 2021