Oakland News Now – Bill Cosby Sentenced To Prison For Acting Like He Had White Privilege
Bill Cosby, perhaps the most famous comedian (well one of the most famous comedians) in our lifetime has just been sentenced three to ten years in a state prison for a sexual assault conviction.
Mr. Cosby was said to have sexually assaulted Andrea Causton in the early 2000s and the original case was thrown out, but Andrea pushed and to make a long story short got her new day in court and won.
What I go back to when I think of Bill Cosby is this when I was volunteer for the Dianne Feinstein for Governor campaign, one of the people who were comprised the senior management team had
this idea of bringing in Bill Cosby to make a statement and do kind of a Cosby Show style skit.
Though the idea that lasts very long but the reason Bill Cosby the reason his name was brought up
in the meeting was because of how he was considered by America outside of black America. ‘
My personal recollection of Bill Cosby goes back to 1976 and a flight I was on, where he was in first class, we were in coach, and the flight attendants were quite really making a scene over him sitting on his lap pouring him drinks.
It’s a 70s – it was a different time.
When I think of Bill Cosby I think of a black person who believes that he has white privilege and there was no more stronger example of this than when Cosby would come out and make fun of and put down the African-American youngsters who were wearing their pants in this new fashion which is basically below the waist, with the undergarments exposed
It became a style and they struck back at Cosby through the then new social media systems of the time which are still with us like Facebook but even before then by Friendster.
They said “Stop dictating to us” and “Why are you against us?”
The negative take on Cosby’s “be like me and don’t be anti-social” way of talking to young black trend-setters was so bad that by the time the wave of news about these sexual assault allegations from women like supermodel Beverly Johnson (who I interviewed) came forward they were jumping for joy.
Here was Bill Cosby presenting himself as this perfect guy with the message “Follow me I’m the perfect individual” and when it turned out there was a chink in the armor which upon further inspection turned out to be a lot bigger than just a chink, many blacks turned on him.
The message of what happened to Bill Cosby is simple: It’s completely wrong to cheat on your wife, and to drug a woman to date her. But lost in this Cosby news is the fact that black men don’t get to tell their story, and don’t tell their story.
I can’t tell you the number of times over my life I’ve met someone out at a bar or eatery and they automatically assume I have drugs – especially white women. I’m just being honest. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve lost dates because I didn’t have drugs and refused to go and do them.
For a set of reasons that are racist, black men are assumed to be part of a dark-underbelly of life, just by walking around. That message, that memo, is one Bill Cosby didn’t get. He acted as if the rules didn’t apply to him, when they did even more so than normal because he’s a celebrity and a black male.
All of us as black men deal with these rules in a different way: some, like Cosby, act like they don’t apply to them. Others don’t want to believe the rules exist, until circumtances in life happen to a point where it’s obvious they are there. That’s me. But everyone, every black man, has his story.
What Cosby did was wrong, but if he had just paid attention to the rules, he would have been just fine. But, for him, the reward would have been full commitment to his wife and a trouble-free life. Instead, Cosby thought he was in the same position accorded white men: the ability to do what he wanted to women, and to get what he wanted, and without consequence.
This fact is summed up in the idea that women like “bad boys”. Since black men are asumed to be “bad boys”, many women who want bad boys are drawn to us – that’s not good for black men or the women who want them. Women in society have to be conditioned to desire black men who are good guys who don’t cheat on their wives or girlfriends, not bad guys who harm women emotionally and physically.
The fact is, the cloud of negative thoughts about black men that seemed to escape him, came and rained on him. Since Cobsy thought he was “Super Negro” as they used to say, few felt sorry for him in the end.
But I do: I’m sorry and very sad that the Bill Cosby I thought was real, never existed.
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental mobile media video-blogging system network that’s part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 onYouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is real-time on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021