Last week, the Biden-Harris Administration celebrated the 2021 National Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) Week and the record number of HBCU graduates working on behalf of the Administration. This follows a longstanding commitment from the President and Vice President to build an Administration that truly looks like America.
On Friday, September 3rd, President Biden signed a proclamation to acknowledge September 5-11, 2021 as National HBCU Week and an executive order establishing the White House Initiative on Advancing Educational Equity, Opportunity, and Excellence through HBCUs (White House Initiative on HBCUs), which will create a government-wide approach to support the needs of HBCUs and the communities they serve.
The White House Initiative on HBCUs hosted its annual HBCU Week Conference on September 7-10, which included a series of events and opportunities for federal agencies, private sector companies and philanthropic organizations to engage with HBCUs.
HBCU week highlights below:
- Education Secretary Miguel Cardona and White House Senior Advisor Cedric Richmond, a graduate of Morehouse College, kicked off the National HBCU Week Conference with greetings from President Biden and panel discussions.
- President Biden named Tony Allen, President of Delaware State University, as Chair of the President’s Board of Advisors on HBCUs.
- Vice President Harris visited Hampton University to tour STEM education facilities and emphasize the importance of science, technology, engineering and math as fields of study at HBCUs. The Vice President also hosted a roundtable with students which was moderate by Vincent Evans, Deputy Director of Public Engagement and a graduate of Florida A&M University.
- Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Cameron Webb hosted a roundtable with student leaders from Florida A&M University, Norfolk State University, Tennessee State University, Fort Valley State University, Southern University at New Orleans and Bowie State University about the work they are doing to vaccinate their communities.
- Karine Jean-Pierre, White House Principal Deputy Press Secretary, hosted press briefing with 20 student journalists from HBCUs across that country.
- Trey Baker, Senior Advisor for Public Engagement and graduate of Tougaloo College, joined 1890 Land Grant Universities and WURD, the only African American owned and operated talk radio station in Pennsylvania, to discuss the historic federal funding HBCUs have received from the Biden-Harris Administration.
What they’re saying about HBCU Week:
- Black Entertainment Television: “President Joe Biden’s administration took concrete steps this week to make good on its promise to support the nation’s historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs).”
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education: “In his pre-recorded appearance, Biden said his administration will continue to empower and sustain the over 100 HBCUs across the country.”
- theGrio: “A Scholarship for Service program operated by the Department of Homeland Security and the National Science Foundation (NFS) provides scholarships and stipends to students pursuing cybersecurity-related degrees in exchange for two years of federal service.”
- The Undefeated: “The Biden-Harris administration hopes other HBCUs will heed the president’s latest executive order and focus on funding and partnerships for educational research and advancement that’s on display at Hampton.”
- Watch The Yard: ‘…the President’s Board of Advisors will, ‘advance the goal of the HBCU Initiative, established by the Carter Administration, to increase the capacity of HBCUs to provide the highest-quality education to its students and continue serving as engines of opportunity.’”
Post based on press release from Biden White House to ZENNIE62MEDIA, Inc.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- VBET Armenian Premier League. Matchday 11. FC Alashkert – FC Noah October 27, 2021
- Indianapolis Colts vs Tennessee Titans Picks, Predictions and Odds | NFL Week 8 Preview | Oct 31 October 27, 2021
- Kay Burley takes a look at what we can expect to see in Budget 2021 October 27, 2021
- Budget 2021: The Chancellor takes the red box to the House of Commons October 27, 2021
- Supply chain crisis | US stores add Soviet vibes to their shelves October 27, 2021
- Grizzlies vs. Trailblazers 10/27/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 27, 2021
- Today Football Prediction | 27/10/2021 | Betting Strategy | DAILY FOOTBALL PREDICTIONS October 27, 2021
- Arizona Cardinals vs Green Bay Packers Picks, Predictions and Odds | Thursday Night Football Preview October 27, 2021
- Jaguars vs Seahawks Predictions | NFL Odds, Free Picks & Best Bets for Week 8 October 27, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Game Picks and Betting Locks October 27, 2021
- 10/27/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 27, 2021
- Clashes erupt at demonstration against Ecuadorian President Lasso in Quito October 27, 2021
- CA EDD Update Pending, Fraud, Audit, EDD’s Accountability Hearing With CA Assembly October 27, 2021
- Jetson One – Official Launch October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves World Series Game 1 win over Houston sends Braves fans home happy October 27, 2021
- Budget 2021: Robert Jenrick says there are ‘reasons to be optimistic’ October 27, 2021
- Oakland A’s Howard Terminal Update Alameda County Board Comments, Vote On TIF Revenue Agreement October 27, 2021
- 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 First Look Up Close Details October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs. Houston Astros | 2021 World Series Game 1 News Update October 27, 2021
- CrossTalk | EU and China ‘frenemies’ October 27, 2021
- Learn how to create Khloe Kardashian’s ‘Candy Crush’ inspired nails October 27, 2021
- Mom is creepin’ it real this Halloween with larger-than-life DIY garage door monster October 27, 2021
- Why do some women wait decades for an ADHD diagnosis? – BBC News October 27, 2021
- Formal Dress For Men | Men’s Fashion | Formal Outfit For Men 2021 | Formal Pant Shirt Matching Ideas October 27, 2021
- Russell Wilson to the Saints and other NFL trades we’d love to see | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 27, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Picks, Best Bets & Survivor Pool Selections w/ Cam Stewart | Against The Spread October 27, 2021
- All-New 2023 Corvette Z06 Reveal October 27, 2021
- NBA Top 10 Plays Of The Night | October 26, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Reaction To The San Jose Sharks 3-1 Loss At The Nashville Predators October 27, 2021
- A’s Clear Latest Hurdle in Howard Terminal Saga October 27, 2021
- A’s Waterfront Ballpark Move Still on Track After Supes Vote October 27, 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes Interviews Used as Evidence in Theranos Trial October 27, 2021
- Flood aftermath in Catania October 27, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Arsenal vs Leeds United (2-0) | Carabao Cup | Super sub Chambers & Nketiah October 27, 2021
- FDA Panel Recommends Pfizer Vaccine For Kids Aged 5-11 October 27, 2021
- Luka Doncic with the BLOCK on Alperen Sengun 🔥 October 27, 2021
- Convicted sex offender served his time, neighbors concerned over release October 27, 2021
- Marin teen honored for vaccination advocacy October 27, 2021
- Senate Highlights Threats To Election Workers; Emphasizes Protections In Voting Bill October 27, 2021
- Alameda County Supervisors Vote “Yes” to Proceeding With the A’s Howard Terminal Ballpark Plan October 27, 2021