Berkeley News from The Office of Councilmember Ben Bartlett
The City of Berkeley is updating our COVID-19 Health Order to align with the State of California’s regional stay home order, effective 12:01am Monday, December 7.
Under the New regional Stay at Home Order, California is split into 5 regions, with the Order being triggered if ICU capacity falls below 15% in the region. Five Bay Area Counties are preemptively issuing the new Regional Stay at Home Order, with the Bay Area currently at 25.3% and expected to reach 15% by mid-late December.
“I was honored to be sworn in on Thursday to serve a second term as Councilmember for South Berkeley, District 3. I feel humbled and blessed by the responsibility that you have entrusted me to serve our Community. We live in times of unprecedented challenge. Yet we have been granted a unique set of opportunities to make our City a more just place for all. We can build on our transformative work in housing, economic inclusion and innovation, public safety, racial justice, environmental stewardship, and pandemic resilience.
Democracy is a 3,000-year-old tradition and is the cornerstone of Freedom. But Democracy is in dramatic decline around the world. As Berkeleyans we have a tradition and feel a special duty—to find the best in us and to model it for the country and the world. The next generation is counting on us to not only preserve Democracy but to expand it to include all people. For this institution to survive into the future, we must embrace Economic Democracy and Environmental Democracy. Four years ago, I pledged to serve our community and protect our freedom.
Let’s do it again. All Doors Open!”
From the City of Berkeley’s Office of Economic Development:
OED, the Berkeley Chamber, Visit Berkeley, and commercial districts citywide have launched the #BerkeleyHolidays campaign to encourage Berkeley residents and visitors to shop locally this holiday season. Free for participating Berkeley businesses, it includes:
A digital BerkeleyHolidays Gift Guide,
Visit Berkeley’s calendar of holiday events, and
The Berkeley Chamber’s social media contest for incredible prizes from more than two dozen stores, including Fill Good, Uchi House, Keter Salon, 4th St Fine Art, Donkey & Goat Winery, Five Little Monkeys, Fern’s Garden, Bombay Jewelry Co., Games of Berkeley, Metro Lighting, Cult Crackers, and others.
Since the last City Council meeting, there have been many updates regarding the process of reimagining the response to Public Safety in Berkeley. The group currently leading this large undertaking is lead by the City Manager, Deputy City Managers, City Attorney, Fire Chief Health, Housing and Community Services (HHCS) Director, Human Resources Director, Police Chief and Public Works Director.
So far, planning has progressed sufficiently in obtaining the goal, which is to have better systems in place that respond to public safety issues.
For more information, click here.
Starting next week, the City of Berkeley will accept applications for its new COVID-19 Resiliency Loan Program (RLP) to help existing Berkeley small businesses, non-profits, and cooperatives to sustain their operations in Berkeley. Funded by the CARES Act, and further capitalizing the City’s existing Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) program, RLP Fixed Interest Rate Loans may be used to cover business operating expenses like payroll, rent, and utilities. Learn more about the loan terms and apply by 5 pm on December 18, 2020.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kev Choice Tribute to Michael Morgan October 20, 2021
- Best of Week 7 of the 2021 College Football Season – Part 1 ᴴᴰ October 20, 2021
- Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS Game 4 Highlights (10/19/21) | MLB Highlights October 20, 2021
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021