This Ben Bartlett post called “Safety for All: George Floyd Community Safety Act” by Berkeley Councilmember Ben Bartlett appears on Medium. Here’s an excerpt:
In all 50 states and more than 145 cities, Americans are calling for legitimate police accountability, an end to police brutality, and the transformation of the police system itself. The killing of George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, at the hands of police officers in Minneapolis this May initiated this wave of demonstrations. But Mr. Floyd’s death is only the latest entry in a long history of human rights atrocities inflicted on Black individuals. The message is clear: enough is enough.
In response, Congress has introduced the George Floyd Law Enforcement Trust and Integrity Act of 2020, which aims to prevent police brutality and calls for national policing standards. For example, the bill reforms hiring practices of law enforcement agencies mandates studies of training procedures that codify a uniform set of procedures for Police Officer conduct and implements other provisions. While this is a step in the right direction, broad legislation at the federal level is fundamentally unable to address the specific issues and nuances of local municipalities’ law enforcement. In order to better respond to the communities they serve, it is critical that local governments and policymakers take action on police reform.
Historically, the City of Berkeley has played a critical role in developing law enforcement practices. August Vollmer, the city’s first police Chief, who among other things, first put officers in automobiles, is hailed as the Father of American policing. Likewise, Berkeley is home to the nation’s first civilian oversight board over the Police Department. Berkeley can continue its leading role by addressing today’s policing issues, namely unconstitutional behavior, racial abuse, and unsustainable expense. Though a gargantuan problem, policymakers in Berkeley and elsewhere can make headway by breaking the larger problem into its individual parts — data-driven budgeting, police accountability, the warrior mentality instilled in police academies, and the use of armed officers in non-criminal cases.
Here is the full post on Medium: Safety For All: The George Floyd Community Safety Act.
Filed under: ben bartlett berkeley, ben bartlett stanford, councilmember ben bartlett, ben bartlett forme life, ben bartlett email, ben bartlett age, ben bartlett composer, yelda bartlett, ben bartlett berkeley email
LET ZENNIE62MEDIA TELL YOUR STORY
Let ZENNIE62MEDIA Tell The Story About You The Media Refuses To Produce. Visit our site and hire Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rusty Hardin Says Tony Buzbee Deshaun Watson Settlement Not Happening Talk Is Ironic
- Mads Mikkelsen And Anders Jensen Blockbuster Interview With Zennie62Media’s Jessica Dwyer
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Seeks To Drown A’s Fans In Water At Coliseum
- Mads Mikkelsen Oscars: Mads Mikkelsen, Anders Jensen, Riders Of Justice Interview: Jessica Dwyer
- Oakland Schools: OUSD 2021 Classified School Employees Of The Year
- Biden Press Secretary Jen Psaki Statement On Restart of Colonial Pipeline And Continued Federal Government Efforts To Mitigate Impacts
- The Oakland A’s Never “Rooted In Oakland” – Las Vegas Mayor Says Relocation Talk 2 Years Old
- Oakland Athletics In Relocation Talks for 2 Years According To LV Review Journal – by Richard Haick
- City Of Oakland Eviction Moratorium Not Impacted By Federal Ruling
- RaceTrac Fayetteville Ga Gas Pumps Out Of Gas Except Diesel Due To Cyberattack
- 2021 NFL Schedule Revealed On NFL Network’s Schedule Release 21 Show
- NFL Gives Nine Social Justice Programs $2.5 Million
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back With Bike Oakland: Bancroft And International
- Rockets Kill 2 Israelis, Airstrikes Kill 28 In Gaza | MSNBC
- Crocker Highlands Mid-Century, Oakland, CA, 94610
- Violent Israeli-Palestinian Unrest Kills At Least 33 | The 11th Hour
- MLB tells Oakland A’s to start exploring other cities
- Team Coverage: Major League Baseball Greenlights Oakland A’s To Consider Relocating
- Talk’s Las Vegas Athletics For Oakland A’s Relocation But Portland Has 50K Signatures For MLB Ballpark
- Rep Liz Chaney Speech On House Floor On Eve Of Vote To Oust Her From House GOP Leadership