In The Berkeley Post, Councilmember Bartlett calls for an omnibus funding package to repair streets. Here’s the rest of the story:
“Without significant additional funding, Berkeley streets will continue to deteriorate and deferred maintenance costs will increase,” explains a recently released audit by Jenny Wong, Berkeley City Auditor, which discusses the deterioration of Berkeley’s streets.
The report discussed the decline of both the sidewalks and streets and suggested they would continue to decline if not fixed soon.
“Berkeley streets are among the worst in the Bay Area. Out of 101 Bay Area cities, Berkeley is 15th from the bottom,” Wong said in a citywide email. “The most recent pavement condition index (PCI)….was 59 out of 100 in 2018.”
According to Wong, a city contractor determined that maintaining PCI levels would cost Berkeley $17.3 million each year, as of 2018. Wong said that insufficient funding from the city of Berkeley is preventing improvements. According to Wong the same city contractor said it would cost the city roughly $27.3 million to raise Berkeley’s PCI by five points over the course of five years. Wong provided recommendations for starting improvement procedures in the released audit.
Berkeley Department of Public Works has agreed to an initial corrective plan including incorporating equity in alignment with the city’s Vision 2050, defining performance measures, annually analyzing budgets, identifying fund sources and updating the city’s Street Rehabilitation and Repair Policy yearly.
City Councilman Ben Bartlett, who represents District 3 in South Berkeley, where much of the disrepair has been allowed to take place, says, “Berkeley has a legacy of underfunded street repair. After decades of passing the buck we are left with only a fraction of the necessary resources. We have to face this problem head on and create an omnibus funding package to repair our streets once and for all.”
Bartlett was recently re-elected to City Council after winning 69% of the local popular vote.
The rest of the post is over here at The Berkeley Post.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Introducing Eric Pangilinan As New Zennie62 Vlogger
- Eric Pangilinanvlogger Zennie62
- ERIC PANGILINAN VLOGGER ZENNIE62
- ERIC PANGILINAN VLOGGER ZENNIE 62
- ERIC PANGILINANVLOGGER ZENNIE62TEST VLOG
- Errol Barnett, Once A CNN Reporter In 2008, Now CBS Weekend Anchor In 2021
- Visit to Oakland Zoo
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 6/13/21
- Home For Sale 6416 Heather Ridge Way Oakland, CA 94611
- Home For Sale 532 30th St 10 Oakland, CA 94609
- Match Highlights: Oakland Roots SC vs. Orange County SC
- 2021 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4
- Is That Too Short, Famed Oakland Rapper, Doing The Hustle At District Bar In Old Oakland?
- Falcon And The Winter Soldier Is Better Than Loki Because Its Rooted In American Culture
- Downsizing Oakland Howard Terminal Ballpark Without Knowing About It Is Brainless
- Philippines Independence Day Saturday June 12th 2021: Eric Pangilinan Philippines Reaction
- French President Macron Says America Is Back During G7 Summit At Carbis Bay
- Oakland A’s Kaval, City Council’s Gallo, Alameda County’s Miley Muddle Howard Terminal Ballpark On KGO-TV
- 🔴OMG Vegas LIVE… You Won’t Believe it. Vegas is NORMAL AGAIN!!🚨
- 12-Year-Old Shot Confronting Catalytic Converter Thieves Outside Oakland Home