Shanghai and London – Ahead of CES Las Vegas 2020 we find that battery prices, which were above $1,100 per kilowatt-hour in 2010, have fallen 87% in real terms to $156/kWh in 2019. By 2023, average prices will be close to $100/kWh, according to the latest forecast from research company BloombergNEF (BNEF).
As we head to CES Las Vegas 2020, battery cost reductions in 2019 are thanks to increasing order size, growth in battery electric vehicle sales and the continued penetration of high energy density cathodes. The introduction of new pack designs and falling manufacturing costs will drive prices down in the near term.
BNEF’s 2019 Battery Price Survey, published today at the BNEF Summit in Shanghai, predicts that as cumulative demand passes 2TWh in 2024, prices will fall below $100/kWh. This price is seen as the point around which EVs will start to reach price parity with internal combustion engine vehicles. However, this varies depending on the region of sale and vehicle segment. The report further examines in detail how manufacturers and automakers alike can continue to reduce prices.
James Frith, BNEF’s senior energy storage analyst and author of the report, said: “According to our forecasts, by 2030 the battery market will be worth $116 billion annually, and this doesn’t include investment in the supply chain. However, as cell and pack prices are falling, purchasers will get more value for their money than they do today.”
BNEF – Figure 1 – Annual lithium-ion battery market size.png
BNEF’s analysis finds that as batteries become cheaper, more sectors are electrifying. For example, the electrification of commercial vehicles, like delivery vans, is becoming increasingly attractive. This will lead to further differentiation in cell specifications, with commercial and high-end passenger vehicle applications likely to opt for metrics like cycle life over continued price declines. However, for mass market passenger EVs, low battery prices will remain the most critical goal.
Continued cost declines for batteries in the 2020s will be achieved through reduced manufacturing capital expenditures, new pack designs and changing supply chains.
Logan Goldie-Scot, head of energy storage at BNEF, said: “Factory costs are falling thanks to improvements in manufacturing equipment and increased energy density at the cathode and cell level. The expansion of existing facilities also offers companies a lower-cost route to expand capacity.”
As major automakers start to produce bespoke EV platforms, they are able to simplify pack design and standardize across different EV models. The simplified design is easier to manufacture and can be scaled for larger or smaller vehicles. The change in pack design will also allow for simpler thermal management systems and could reduce the amount of housing required for each module. As automakers start procuring cells from multiple suppliers for a single platform, there is also an increasing level of standardization in cell design.
EV demand in Europe is growing, and supply chains are changing. Increasingly, battery manufacturers are building plants in the region. This helps to reduce some of the costs associated with importing cells from overseas, especially transportation costs and import duties.
The path to achieving $100/kWh by 2024 looks promising, even if there will undoubtedly be hiccups along the way. There is much less certainty on how the industry will reduce prices even further, from $100/kWh down to $61/kWh by 2030. This is not because it is impossible but rather that there are a variety of options and paths that can be taken.
As we get closer to the second half of the 2020s energy density at the cell and pack level will play a growing role, as it allows for more efficient use of materials and manufacturing capacity. New technologies like silicon or lithium anodes, solid state cells and new cathode materials will be key to helping cost reductions play out.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders News : NT Kendal Vickers Move Up To 53 Man Roster | Mariota Activated For Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021