Sacramento, Calif. — As activists barnstorm California’s Capital this week, advocating for solutions to the state’s housing crisis, Assemblymember Buffy Wicks’ (D – Oakland) proposal collect statewide data on rental trends passed through committee with strong support from tenants rights groups. Assembly Bill 724, will establish California’s first state-wide rental registry to track rent levels and evictions.
“California’s housing crisis is crushing our renters and driving folks out of their communities,” said Wicks. “Lawmakers need rental data in order to create sound legislation that actually helps alleviate the strain on renters and protects working people. We can’t make effective public policy without a fact-based understanding of the problem.”
In his January ‘State of the State,’ Governor Gavin Newsom pressed the Legislature to create bold legislation addressing the state’s housing crisis and creating greater protections for renters but California lacks the comprehensive data to develop best practices. Half of California renters are “rent burdened”
“The state is considering adopting stronger protections for renters in order to preserve their residence but lacks the comprehensive data on rent increases needed to develop the best policies because datasets that already exist are proprietary or incomplete,” said Matt Schwartz, President of the California Housing Partnership Corporation. “AB 724 would address this need directly by providing the data the Legislature needs to make the best policy solutions.”
AB 724 requires the Department of Housing and Community Development to create a rental registry online portal and rental registry form. The bill now heads to Assembly Judiciary Committee for a vote later this spring.
“There are more than 200 housing bills being considered by the legislature this year,” said Berkeley Rent Board member James Chang. “If we are going to actually understand how our policy will impact people across the state – we need this information. I applaud Assemblymember Wicks’ commitment to protecting tenants from eviction and displacement.”
AB 724 is supported by the California Housing Partnership (co-sponsor), TechEquity (co-sponsor) and the Western Center on Law and Poverty.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland A’s PITCHER Sergio Romo drops his PANTS during inspection by umpire for FOREIGN substances
- City Auditor Pt1 Courtney Ruby, Oakland City Auditor, All About Community, June 8, 2021
- Boxing Keith Thurman Says Pacquiao Fist Feel Like a Rock Spence Better Listen – By Eric Pangilinan
- Atlanta Hawks Upset Milwaukee Bucks 116-113 To Win NBA East Finals Game 1
- Sonic The Hedgehog Celebrates It’s 30th Anniversary As A Franchise, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Hawks Trae Young Shimmy Scores Three vs Bucks NBA Playoffs Game 1 2021
- Raiders Josh Jacobs Was Not happy Losing Hudson And Jackson – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Oscar De La Hoya Coming Out Of Retirement- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Derek Carr Supports Teammate Carl Nassib – By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Receiver John Brown Building Chemistry With QB Derek Carr
- John McAfee, Who Ran For President vs Donald Trump In 2015, Died In Spanish Prison
- Loki Lamentis Review Recap – By Jessica Dwyer
- Loki Episode 3: Does The Ark Reference Have Symbolic Meaning To Noah’s Ark? By Joseph Armendariz
- 2412 Kingsland Ave Oakland, CA 94601
- Bike Oakland/Alameda: Bay Trail & Bay Farm Island
- Oakland City Budget 2021-23: Oakland City Council President Bas Presents Amendments
- 2020 USWNT U.S. Olympics Women’s Soccer Team Announced June 23 2021
- IKEA in Atlanta Under Fire For Juneteenth Celebration Menu By Joseph Armendariz
- Loki Is Bisexual Says Director Kate Herron – But What Would Thor Say About That?
- My Cryptocurrency Portfolio Is Up Today, June 23 2021; Changed Its Composition. What Works For You?
Oakland News Now Archives
- California eviction moratorium still in limbo ahead of June 30 expiration – San Francisco Chronicle
- Adams leads in NYC mayoral primary but 2 others have a shot – theday.com
- Giant Crane To Pass Under Golden Gate Bridge En Route To Oakland – Patch.com
- Oakland Police Department using de-escalation simulator to train officers on use of force – California News Times
- Oakland A’s minor-league updates: Who’s making the case for a promotion? – The Mercury News
- Photos: Rally and vigil follows Juneteenth shooting at Lake Merritt – The Oaklandside
- Gwyneth Paltrow Probably Didn’t Write This Guide to What’s Cool and New in SF – Flipboard
- Crystal Teahon Obituary (1941 – 2021) – Cordes Lakes, AZ – Custer County Chief – Legacy.com
- East Bay Assembly candidates lay out LGBTQ plans – Bay Area Reporter, America’s highest circulation LGBT newspaper
- Cruise ships are back in business, but new rules mean changes – CNET