In Las Vegas, the once-Oakland Raiders did everything it could do to make the unofficial soft-opening of the still-under construction Allegiant Stadium a special event. And why not? Allegiant Stadium is a brand new symbol of what many (including me) hope Las Vegas can be, yet again, post-Pandemic: a tourist mecca for the World.
The Raiders rolled out a super-fancy season ticket box for passes that, sadly, will go unused for this wild NFL 2020 Season.
And in introducing Raiders Players to the facility, Mark Davis, Raiders Manager of the General Partner, said this (according to the Las Vegas Sun):
“Welcome to the Death Star, where our opponents’ dreams come to die. My father always said that the greatness of the Raiders is in its future. Well today that future really starts. This magnificent stadium was built on the backs of thousands of players, coaches, administrators and fans, who for the past 60 years have proudly worn the Silver and Black.”
And while Mark Davis and Jon Gruden and Raiders players enjoy the new Las Vegas Stadium, the Oakland A’s plan a $2 billion ballpark facility for Howard Terminal in Oakland’s Jack London Square. In a still-ongoing march to a planned 2023 opening, Oakland A’s President David Kaval is proving the Raiders wrong: that the City of Oakland was, indeed, able to cause the formation of a public subsidy program worth roughly double that of the $750 million the Raiders got (with the help of Las Vegas Sands Founder Sheldon Adelson) from the Nevada Legislature.
In a turn of events that proves the mainstream media does not know how read or how to do math, the planned infrastructure redevelopment zone law that was approved by the California Legislature and signed into law by California Governor Gavin Newsom last October, will result in the formation of a zone that assumes a small $2 billion base-year assessed value to serve as the foundation for a TIF bond with a 40-year-payback schedule.
In fact, Kaval agreed this was the case in our interview, even as he reminded us that the ballpark itself (the main frame) would be privately financed. At just an annual 4 percent rate of growth in assessed value, and 1 percent tax rate, the revenue total will be $1.4 billion by year 40.
The Oakland A’s ballpark legislation, if one bothers to read it, will allow for everything from financing assistance for affordable housing, street lighting, bridges, transportation, and it can be spread city-wide.
Of course, those who hate reading will go on chortling that Oakland’s broke and can’t afford this or that. Meanwhile, the A’s will emerge with the ballpark that will reform Oakland into an international destination.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- TITANS y BILLS se baten en un ASOMBROSO duelo de MONDAY NIGH | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 19, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! Monday Night Football Bills Titans Recap, MLB Playoffs, Next LSU Head Coach? October 19, 2021
- San Francisco Leaders Offer Cash Rewards in Hopes of Reducing Car Break-Ins October 19, 2021