Zennie62Media note: this post on the Antonio Brown Helmet Issue is Oakland Raiders Fan Joseph Armendariz‘s first contribution as a blogger for Zennie62Media. Mr. Armendariz, a regular viewer of the Zennie62 YouTube Livestream, took it upon himself to research the information presented below. He was then invited to blog about what he learned, and share it with Raiders Fans here. Joseph Armendariz now has a space at Oakland News Now where he can present newsworthy content.
Los Angeles – For those of you Oakland Raiders Fans who live under a rock All Pro Wide Receiver Antonio Brown was missing from camp over the weekend. The initial reason according to the Oakland Raiders was due to his frostbitten feet;which Brown suffered during cryotherapy in France.
Soon after it was revealed not only was it Antonio Brown’s feet that were a problem, but also his Schutt Air Advantage Helmet which is currently on the NFL ban list because the model was more than 10 years old. The Air Advantage manufacturing run was stopped during the 2009 -10 season.
It was originally believed that an NFL loophole would allow for models deemed less than 10 years old to be refurbished for NFL regulation standards. After acquiring several Air Advantage helmets through a social media plea, a reconditioned helmet was sent to (NOCSAE) The National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment for testing.
Unfortunately, the reconditioned helmet was not certified by the organization and the Oakland Raiders and Antonio Brown were notified early Sunday morning of the NFL decision not to certify a reconditioned Air Advantage helmet, thus essentially closing the loophole Antonio Brown was hoping would allow him to wear his desired helmet.
My source who has asked for anonymity said: “It’s not that easy to make a new helmet . . .at minimum it would take 3 to 4 months to make a new mold” let alone a new customize helmet.
I decided to keep investigating and I was able to track down the NFL Schutt representative for the Raiders: Charlie McMillan. My conversation with Mr. McMillan was brief. He would not go into detail regarding Antonio Brown’s current helmet situation. I had asked McMillan if it was true regarding the 3 to 4 month time frame to create a new mold for Brown’s helmet? Charlie McMillan refused to answer any questions and reiterated he cannot say anything with regards to the Antonio Brown situation, stating “I’m staying away from answering any questions without Glenn Beckmann present.”
Glenn Beckmann handles media and client relations for Schutt and has the title of “Director,Marketing Communications.”
Schutt Helmet’s Glenn Beckmann Says Brown Should Use Air XP Q11 Over Air Advantage
At 2:30 PST Mr. Glenn Beckmann returned my phone call. Mr. Beckmann started our conversation with “I can’t get into specific details regarding any specific player or team” He evidently received a call from Raiders Schutt Rep (McMillan) about my Antonio Brown Helmet inquires. He was able to answer my questions regarding helmets. According to Mr. Beckmann the Air Advantage was created in 2002 and was the last in the series of helmets to use traditional padding material inside the helmet.
The only reason the very popular Air Advantage was discontinued according to Beckmann was that it outlived its useful life due to technological advancements. Current NFL Helmets are made with Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU), a far more advanced substance than previous helmet technology.
Ironically, both my source and Beckmann independently of each other has stated the Air XP Q11 has a very similar design to the Air Advantage. The difference being manufacturing technology and modifications in the ventilation and ear holes.
Glenn Beckmann further went on to say “I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want a safer
helmet” Regarding the helmets sight lines Beckman was emphatic that the sight lines if not the same are very similar to the Air Advantage.
So the question is will Antonio Brown sit out the season waiting for a customize helmet to be made? Or, will Brown play with any of Schutt existing helmet models?
Antonio Brown Helmet Update: Brown Said To Have Filed New Grievance
According to Mike Florio’s Pro Football Talk, Brown’s filed another helmet-related grievance as of Monday. That said, he’s in training with the Raiders, having shown up on Monday of this week.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021
- Police release video of suspect vehicle in fatal shooting of Oakland teen October 14, 2021