Amazon elected to stop plans to build its long-discussed second headquarters in New York City.
Unlike the incomplete reports on mainstream media, specifically CNN, the reason for Amazon’s decision, from the perspective of New York public officials, can be summed up as the firm being anti-union and demanding too many tax-breaks, even though its founder, Jeff Bezos, is worth $100 billion.
Amazon issued this statement: “After much thought and deliberation, we’ve decided not to move forward with our plans to build a headquarters for Amazon in Long Island City, Queens”, said Amazon spokeswoman Jodi Seth.
The Open Markets Institute sent this press release to Zennie62Media:
Today, New Yorkers won a big victory against one of the most powerful corporations in the world. The New York Times reported that Amazon cancelled plans to build a second “headquarters,” or HQ2, in Queens in exchange for nearly $3 billion in subsidies from the people of New York. Open Markets Institute applauds the citizens, grass roots organizers, and local lawmakers who rejected the bad deal struck last November by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Open Markets board member Zephyr Teachout has been a vocal opponent of the deal and a lead organizer in the movement to block Amazon’s exploitation of New York. “This is a really huge win,” she said today. “It’s extraordinary when individual workers and independent businesses can beat the richest man in the world, with his army of lobbyists and consultants. We are at a turning point in this country. The American people are no longer going to bow down to wealth and corporate control.”
Open Markets Executive Director Barry Lynn said, “Americans should now drive forward to protect our democracy and markets from Amazon’s increasingly dangerous concentration of power and control. We have all the tools we need in America’s traditional anti-monopoly laws to make Amazon safe for the people who buy and sell on its online marketplaces. It’s time to demand that our law enforcers and politicians stand up and do the jobs we hired them to do, which is to cut Amazon down to size.”
Amazon also stated that it would not seek a second location for what was called “Amazon HQ2”.
Amazon's decision to yank HQ2 out of Long Island City means New York City and New York state could lose up to $27.5 billion in potential tax revenue https://t.co/uQNCK5VL2F
— Bob Bryan (@RobertBryan4) February 14, 2019
Amazon won't build an HQ in New York City.
— Bloomberg Graphics (@BBGVisualData) February 14, 2019
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NBA Picks Today (Oct. 22nd) | Free NBA Predictions, Odds & Betting Analysis October 23, 2021
- UK sees huge increase in modern slavery says The Salvation Army October 23, 2021
- EAGLES VS RAIDERS NEWS UPDATES October 23, 2021
- Los Angeles Clippers vs Memphis Grizzlies 10/23/21 Free NBA Pick and Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 23, 2021
- Sky News Breakfast: Former spy warns of growing Russian hostility October 23, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Public Betting Report | Chiefs vs Titans | 49ers vs Colts | NFL Week 7 Predictions October 23, 2021
- Today’s FREE NBA Betting Picks (Saturday 10/23/21) October 23, 2021
- ‘Squid Game’-Inspired Guards Oversee Civil Servants in Indonesia October 23, 2021
- Skyline High School’s Eric Zeiser AKA Vince Palmieri, karaoke regular at The Alley Piano Bar in Oakland October 23, 2021
- Skyline High School’s Eric Zeiser AKA Vince Palmieri Sings Elvis at Oakland’s Alley Piano Bar October 23, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.24.21 October 23, 2021
- Weapons Safety Expert Looks At Safety Protocols And Alec Baldwin Movie Set Shooting October 23, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James & Anthony Davis (10/22/21) October 23, 2021
- Bay Area Gearing Up for COVID-Safe Halloween Celebrations October 23, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! NFL week 7 preview, MLB Playoffs, a BIG career announcement, plus Nick Sharara! October 23, 2021
- Bay Area Bracing for Atmospheric River This Weekend October 23, 2021
- NBA Top 10 Plays Of The Night | October 22, 2021 October 23, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Austin Reaves (10/22/21) October 23, 2021
- Peter Scolari, Emmy-Winning Actor From ‘Bosom Buddies’ Dies at 66 | THR News October 23, 2021
- Peter Scolari, Emmy-Winning Actor Known for ‘Girls’ and ‘Bosom Buddies’ Is Dead at 66 | PEOPLE October 23, 2021
- Alec Baldwin Fired Prop Gun That Killed Photography Director on ‘Rust’ Set October 23, 2021
- Andy Lopez’ family say they never saw justice for son killed by deputy October 23, 2021
- Exclusive: Former spy Christopher Steele warns that ‘Russian hostility is growing’ October 23, 2021
- 10/22/21 Free NBA Pick and Prediction NBA Betting Tips & Odds Aftermath 4K October 23, 2021
- Actual Audit Finds Wisconsin 2020 Election Was ‘Safe And Secure’ October 23, 2021
- FREE Sports Betting Picks October 23, 2021| Free NBA Picks Today| NBA Predictions| NBA Picks Tonight October 23, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/22/21) October 23, 2021
- Greta Thunberg to COP26 Climate Leaders: ‘We Are Watching’ October 23, 2021
- EAGLES vs RAIDERS NFL Picks and Predictions (Week 7) | NFL Free Picks Today October 23, 2021
- Anthony Davis & LeBron James Postgame Interview – Suns vs Lakers | 2021-22 NBA Season October 23, 2021
- Bill Carroll’s Saturday Superlatives WRs Week 5 Drake London, Jaquarii Roberson, Luuan Winningham October 23, 2021
- Trump’s ‘Coup Lawyer’ Eastman Disavows Infamous Memo October 23, 2021
- GOP Election Fraud Hype Collapses As Figurehead Is Charged With Voter Fraud October 23, 2021
- Arsenal v. Aston Villa | PREMIER LEAGUE HIGHLIGHTS | 10/22/2021 | NBC Sports October 23, 2021
- Dwight Howard on Courtside Spat With Anthony Davis October 23, 2021