The Alta Waverly Oakland Apartment Complex Center at 23rd and Valdez and in at what is still weirdly named “Broadway Auto Row” (even though Oakland gave up on car dealers as economic development, long ago), is damned huge. No other way to say it.
Alta Waverly Oakland Apartment Complex Center is so freaking huge, it’s own website doesn’t really tell you how large it is.
Alta Waverly is 183-units (looks like more than that) spread over three large city blocks in an area of Oakland once talked about for a baseball stadium for the Oakland A’s, and where you would meet your wife-to-be (or vice versa) when it was dominated by J.J. Restaurant, the 24-hour eatery, during the 70s and 80s.
Overall, what was there was a reflection of the sad fact of institutional investor racism. If you don’t know what that is, it’s where in America white folks with money didn’t want to spend that money in neighborhoods or cities deemed “black” because they didn’t like dark skinned folks. If that’s too raw for you, then you need a massive dose of sad history,both to understand where we are today, and where we need to be before we can say “it’s all good”, as my friend James Meredith used to say way too much back in the day.
This problem exited until Jerry Brown was elected Mayor of Oakland in 1998. After that, thee were scores of whites from San Francisco who would venture over to Oakland as if making some trip to another World. I’m just telling it like it was, and to a lesser extent, is. Jerry Brown made Oakland OK for outsider white people with money to visit and live in.
Prior to Brown, we had problems drawing commerce. I vividly recall helping my friend Phil Tagami, who was trying to attract the United Colors of Benetton, in 1997. After Phil seemed like he was making headway with the retailer, they sent a “thanks but no thanks” letter pointing to “Oakland’s demographics” as the reason. Basically, the United Colors of Benetton didn’t want to be around colored people at the time.
Anyway, Jerry Brown as the celebrity Mayor of Oakland helped spark the demographic change we have seen in our town just by being here – and has caused the dramatic decline in the black population of Oakland (the other contributor was the destruction of Oakland’s once-great affordable housing fund).
But I digress.
What you have to understand is Alta Waverly Oakland Apartment Complex Center represents what is really a new town, right smack in the middle of Oakland. It will potentially add 400 to 1,000 people to Oakland’s population, and be a massive shot in the economic arm of an area that’s needed it for a long time. The problem is that, without redevelopment law, Oakland can’t take full advantage of Alta Waverly Oakland Apartment Complex Center.
With Redevelopment Law – which California had until California Governor (and my former boss) Jerry Brown ripped it out of the law books with the help of the California Supreme Court – Oakland could gather property tax revenue in the area, use it to finance the construction or creation of affordable units, and keep the population of Oakland diverse, racially and economically.
Before Redevelopment Law was killed, Oakland had a giant affordable housing budget – it was $111 million in 2011. Now, it’s gone.
Without Redevelopment Law, we get the problem we have today in Oakland: more homeless people and evil and greedy landlords who seek only to take advantage of dwellers. Otherwise, they too would call for the restoration of Redevelopment Law. Indeed, you can get after the entire Oakland City Council for doing nothing about bringing Redevelopment Law back.
Well, there’s a bill you need to get behind: AB 3037 by Assemblyman David Chiu out of San Francisco. Help him get that passed, so all of Oakland can enjoy Alta Waverly, and be proud of it, not some of Oakland.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021