Alex Epstein, author of the recently published book “The Moral Case For Fossil Fuels,” will be the guest of Zennie Abraham on Zennie62 On YouTube and Oakland News Now, Thursday, February 21st, at 12 noon PST / 3 pm EST. The topic will be his book, and his take on the Oakland Bulk & Oversized Terminal issue, and the hyperbole about coal and its role in America and the World’s energy needs.
The Oakland Bulk & Oversized Terminal OBOT is the controversial project that’s part of the “Oakland Global” replacement for the long-closed Oakland Army Base. The terminal will be the culmination of a long-talked about dream of a deep-water port designed to transfer container rain commodities from rail to ship quickly, cheaply, and cleanly.
The OBOT becamed mired in controversy after a political wave of anti-coal activism hit the project in 2014. Prior to that year documents and testimonials point to the City of Oakland itself understanding that the Oakland Bulk & Oversized Terminal would handle minerals like iron ore and coal as they made there way from the United States to places like China from rail to ship.
After anti-coal activists put political pressure on Oakland elected officials, the OBOT was stalled by City of Oakland inaction. Insight Terminal Solutions and California Capital Investment, the developers, fought back via a successful lawsuit, and have filed another one as recently as late last year.
Triggering all of these events has been a series of ideas around what the Oakland public thinks the Oakland Bulk & Oversized Terminal is, versus what it really is. For example, the OBOT is not a coal factory.
Conversation about the Oakland Bulk & Oversized Terminal has taken on the look of a typical liberal / conservative debate, with all of the name-calling and vitriol that comes with it. There has been one side presented to date: the one that says the OBOT is bad and a polluter, when the developers insist it’s not.
Enter Alex Epstein.
Alex’s book “The Moral Case For Fossil Fuels” presents an opportunity to hear a different view on the Oakland Bulk & Oversized Terminal issue, and get to know the author of a work that will challenge what you and I think we know about fossil fuels and their role in not just America’s energy use and production, but also climate change. We will have a contructive talk about energy and technology and how we can use technology to make energy delivery and use better.
It’s free and easy to watch and listen to the interview. Zennie62 On YouTube’s link is here.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kev Choice Tribute to Michael Morgan October 20, 2021
- Best of Week 7 of the 2021 College Football Season – Part 1 ᴴᴰ October 20, 2021
- Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS Game 4 Highlights (10/19/21) | MLB Highlights October 20, 2021
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021