ONN – Alameda County DA Blindsides Scott McKibben, Former Oakland Coliseum JPA Boss, With Felony Conflict Of Interest
The case of The People Of The State Of California vs Scott McKibben would seem very routine if you didn’t know the man or the story. Unfortunately, I know both. I know that as one who personally advocated for my friend from my Super Bowl: Oakland Bid days, and President of The Rose Bowl and Commissioner of the A-II Football League to become Coliseum Joint Powers Authority Executive Director, it does hurt to see his name attached and be accused of something that he did not at all believe he was doing, and believed he had permission to do.
Two things must be made clear: first, in my view the Alameda County DA, Nancy O’Malley, is completely wrong in filing charges against Scott McKibben for felony conflict of interest. Second, the Oakland City Attorney Barbara Parker, who brought the criminal claims to the DA, was completely wrong to ask Scott for 2019 NBA Finals Game 4 Coliseum JPA Luxury Box tickets, just after the RingCentral Deal was done and the company name was put on the Coliseum Stadium next door – yet reportedly knew in her mind she would blast Scott behind his back. I know that because I was there at 2019 NBA Finals Game 4 and Scott invited me up to hang out (I had a ticket in the rafters), as was now former Coliseum JPA Board Member Chris Dobbins. I even gave Ms. Parker a hug because I was very happy to see her. Now, it looks like Barbara knew this was in the works, even as she sought tickets from Scott for Warriors vs Raptors Game 4.
Why Is Oakland Punishing The Best Coliseum JPA Executive Director It Ever Had?
Scott is personally hurt by this. He feels that he’s been blindsided by people he worked hard for and was proud to represent. He can’t process why this is happening. Personally, if I had any idea this sort of fate was before him, I’d have told him to stay away from Oakland. Instead, I worked hard to get Scott hired as Coliseum JPA Executive Director.
The reason I worked so hard to get Scott McKibben hired, and ultimately had the help of now Oakland City Council President Rebecca Kaplan, who was on the Coliseum JPA Board, is because he’s one thing the Coliseum JPA needed: a sports business deal maker. In all of its years, the Coliseum Joint Powers Authority never had anyone like that since the days of the late Coliseum President and Peerless Coffee CEO George Vukasin.
Come to think of it, both Vukasin and McKibben were good friends of mine (Vukasin, while I was Montclarion columnist between 1993 and 1995 and McKibben for the Super Bowl Oakland Bid work from 1999 to 2001) – both were deal makers, and both were Republican, white, and male. I’m not sure what that says about me since I’m black, Democrat, and male, but I do know we all got along famously. We all understood how to do deals. Building small businesses. Setting prices with vendors. Determining payment of contractors. All of those agreements, and more, are deals. and maybe that explains the rub that got Scott into this rabbit hole he finds himself in.
Scott McKibben was working within an Oakland Government system that’s become increasingly hostile to deal-making over the years, and he didn’t even know it. Today, the sheer power of billionaire tech investors and local companies worth near trillions has so compacted government, made it feel so small, that it simply doesn’t trust anyone who may appear to be working a deal that ultimately benefits it.
So, that Oakland Government system existed, and within it, Scott McKibben, the man with the Coliseum JPA Contract that calls him “independent contractor” as much as it does call him “executive director” – and thus making him a walking conflict of interest and not by his own design, but by the design of the lawyers of the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda. I always thought it was confusing that Scott had such a contract, but I kept my nose out of that business – now, I’m sorry I did.
Scott McKibben was set up to fail, even as he was succeeding, and he didn’t even know it. During his time as Coliseum JPA Executive Director, he steered a public organization that was running a deficit when he started in 2014 to one that was in the black when he sadly stepped down because of the RingCentral Naming Rights Deal.
And the RingCentral Naming Rights Deal is the one that’s the focus of the conflict-of-interest, Section 1090 violation felony argument that Alameda County prosecuters will throw at him January 10th, 2020. What’s really weird about that, is the Coliseum JPA Board authorized Scott to establish a naming rights deal with Ring Central. But, in doing so, the Coliseum JPA Board did not warn McKibben that he could not receive any extra “fee” for his work, and since Scott is called an independent contractor, and the Coliseum JPA always paid out such fees in its past, he thought that he too deserved a $50,000 fee.
The problem for Scott is the Coliseum JPA Board members I talked to didn’t said they didn’t know about the $50,000 fee just as they dispatched him to make the RingCentral Naming Rights Deal. What is strange is why would they ask him to act as a marketing consultant, but not inform him of any danger of violating Section 1090, let alone tell him what Section 1090 was? But then, did the Coliseum JPA Board members also forgot that McKibben’s true title is not only “independent contractor” but “consultant”? That’s right, consultant, and not public official in the normal sense of the word. So, the problem of conflict of interest is built in to this entire matter – and so much so, that it seems that it should be not legal to be able to charge Scott with a crime of conflict of interest.
Answer this question: how can you put a man or woman in a position that, by design, is one of conflict of interest, take advantage of their deal-making talent and not warn them, and then turn around and charge them with the crime of conflict of interest? That’s “Entrapment By Estoppel” – defined as “when a government official has actively misled a defendant into a reasonable belief that his or her charged conduct is legal.”
Coliseum JPA marketing and sales consultants have always received an extra fee for their work in organizations history, going back to its reformation into what it is, today, in 1996. Why should Scott be any different? And, again, the Coliseum JPA Board dispatched him to do the deal. It doesn’t matter that Scott’s “already making $300,000” as one Coliseum JPA Board Member told me when this conflict of interest issue surfaced for public view.
Note from Oakland News Now Technical: this video-blog post shows the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rep. Jayapal: We May Not Get All We Want In The Bill, But Let’s Get This Done October 21, 2021
- US surgeon general on child vaccines: Parents have been waiting for this October 21, 2021
- Liz Cheney Suggests Trump Was ‘Personally Involved’ in Jan. 6 Capitol Riot October 21, 2021
- New product announcement on October 21st 2021 | Sony | α October 21, 2021
- 5 Best New Gaming Laptops of 2021 Latest Gaming Laptops CES 2022 October 21, 2021
- John King reveals multiple sclerosis diagnosis l GMA October 21, 2021
- Celine Dion puts return to Vegas residency on hold, citing health issues l GMA October 21, 2021
- Democrats close in on compromise for Biden’s economic package October 21, 2021
- Gas explosion At Restaurant Kills At Least Three In Northeast China October 21, 2021
- #14 Coastal Carolina vs Appalachian State Football Game Highlights 10 20 2021 October 21, 2021
- Stephen Curry SLIPS In Front Of Floyd Mayweather 😳 October 21, 2021
- Charles Barkley Gives It A Go On “Who He Play For?” feat. Drew Carey | NBA on TNT October 21, 2021
- Jeh Johnson: You Cannot Have 200,000 People A Month Crossing The Border October 21, 2021
- Mike Leach asked about LSU coaching vacancy and Ed Orgeron, gives absolute awesome answer October 21, 2021
- Second storm system showering into Bay Area October 21, 2021
- NBA Picks and Predictions | Daily NBA Betting Preview | Tip-Off Show for Oct 21 October 21, 2021
- 2020 Honda Civic Sport Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA R200 October 21, 2021
- Latest Weather Forecast October 21, 2021
- LIVE: Latest news, breaking stories and analysis on October 21 | CBSN October 21, 2021
- Jim Jordan can’t seem to keep January 6 story straight. Brianna Keilar rolls the tape October 21, 2021
- Lake Merritt in Oakland, California is one of the most unique urban spaces in the United States. October 21, 2021
- This Morning’s Top Headlines – October 21 | Morning News NOW October 21, 2021
- These GOP candidates have a strategist afraid for the party’s future October 21, 2021
- U.S. Surgeon General On WH Plan To Vaccinate Children Ages Five To 11 October 21, 2021
- Bay Area braces for next round of heavy rain October 21, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Best Bets: Player Props, Spreads, O/U Picks + a Teaser October 21, 2021
- ‘I’ve Been Strangled’: Paris Hilton On Abuse At Group Youth Facility October 21, 2021
- BREAKING: Ali Harbi Ali charged with murder of MP Sir David Amess October 21, 2021
- Mavericks vs. Hawks 10/21/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 21, 2021
- Watch Rachel Maddow Highlights: October 20th | MSNBC October 21, 2021
- News Anchors John King, Neil Cavuto Speak Out In Support Of Covid Vaccine October 21, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Dan Orlovsky BELIEVES in Jalen Hurts in Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders Week 7 October 21, 2021