Oakland – Alameda and Contra Costa Animal Shelters have united to ask the community to please make a plan for their beloved companion animals. With a COVID-19 peak expected in the San Francisco Bay Area, hospitals and medical providers are preparing to meet an overwhelming demand for medical assistance and hospital stays. Public Animal Shelters are preparing as well. Though this illness has proven to be deadly for our oldest and most compromised community members, countless residents may experience a hospital stay. This potentially leaves hundreds of companion animals needing care.
Shelters are urging residents to have a plan:
1. Put together a bag of animal supplies with food, 2 weeks of medications, and any additional needed supplies, including a travel kennel.
2. Create a written emergency plan for each of your pets. Include your name and contact information, including cell phone number, your pet’s feeding schedule, any medical conditions and treatment instructions. Document whether your pet is up-to-date on vaccinations, and list the contact information for your veterinarian. Lastly, provide up to three contacts for family members or friends who will be able to check on your medical status and give the provider updates.
3. Find a temporary caregiver who is able to take on your pets if you are hospitalized. Contact neighbors, family, friends, pet-sitters and boarding facilities. The most ideal situation for you and your pets is for them to remain out of a public shelter. Though public shelters can help in emergencies, the system isn’t designed to provide long-term care. In addition, available space is limited, and shelters may not have the capacity to help all animals in need.
Private and Public Shelters have seen an outpouring of offers to assist during this difficult time. Utilizing Governor Newsom’s partnership with NextDoor, called Neighbor-to-Neighbor, you may find local community members who are willing to care for your animals while you recover.
Having a plan will reduce your stress by providing peace of mind that your pets will be cared for. In addition, keeping Public Shelters free of long-term care animals allows them to be better prepared for the onset of kitten season, stray pets, and animal care cases that require immediate attention.
Alameda and Contra Costa Counties combined have 8 public animal shelters operating year-round to serve pets in our communities. Facilities employ animal control officers and staff who specializes in reunited lost pets, fighting animal abuse, and caring for animals while they await new homes.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Just sharing the beauty of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California. Mothers Day 2021.
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave
- Port of Oakland Trade Boom: Wan Hai Lines Connects U.S. And Asia In 2021
- Oakland City Budget Forgets Cybersecurity As USA’s Largest Pipeline Gets Ransomwared
- Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas On Mayor Schaaf’s Budget
- Oakland Adams Point Apartment Target Of Would Be Robber Caught-On-Camera Mother’s Day Evening
- Elon Musk Wario – Wario Is Elon Musk On SNL And Vinny Lospinuso Shares His Vlog Thoughts
- Star Trek’s Lt. Uhura Nichelle Nichols On Meeting President Obama
- Happy Mother’s Day, Today, Everyone! Enjoy Your Mom!
- Grand Lake Theater Marquee In Oakland Says Wait Almost Over, Reopens Late May 2021
- Fata Fut News: Today Top Trending News | 11 AM | 9 May 2021 – TV9
- New Trending Instagram Reels Videos | All Famous TikTok Star | Today Viral Insta Reels | Insta Reels
- Mount Zion Oakland Mother’s Day Church Service 2021
- Home For Sale At 9124 Lawlor St Oakland, CA
- Medina Sprit Had Steroids, May Lose Kentucky Derby Win, Trainer Bob Baffert Banned
- Jarrett Stidham Vs Mac Jones For Backup To Cam Newton In Auburn Vs Alabama Clash Of Patriots QBs
- Elon Musk Talks About Dogecoin On SNL Weekend Update But Will Market Respond?