ONN – Aireon Tavarres Works To Save Oakland’s Black Lives Matter Protest Murals In Downtown
By Localish on YouTube, which reports:
In Oakland, the boarded-up shop windows have been covered with the faces of George Floyd, Tony McDade and Breonna Taylor. If you walk along Telegraph Avenue or Broadway in the city’s downtown, you are surrounded by vividly colored Black Power fists, protest slogans such as “no justice, no peace” or “power to the people” and the names of Oscar Grant and other victims of police violence immortalized in brightly colored spray paint. As in many cities around the US, dozens of murals have sprung up across Oakland amid a nationwide reckoning over systemic racism and police brutality, transforming the streets into an open-air museum.
Now, members of the local arts community are working to secure a future for the works, and perhaps even find a permanent home for them inside a museum. Tens of thousands turned out to demonstrate in downtown Oakland in the weeks after George Floyd’s killing by a Minneapolis police officer. After several windows were broken during the first nights of protests, most businesses in the area covered their windows with plywood. Overnight the boards became canvases for expressions of anger, resilience and anti-racist sentiments.“
It was very organic. At first it was a cleanup effort, then we had all of these boards painted white, like canvases, and they became an outlet for aggression,” said Aireon Tavarres, a local activist who organized cleanup and beautification efforts in Oakland’s downtown.“We’ve never had that much art go up at one singular time and about one specific subject. Tavarres continued. “The community came together for one cause: Black Lives Matter.”Now Tavarres is a part of an effort to track down the artists who’ve added to the downtown landscape and ask them what they would like to do with their work. He says that responses have varied: some want to keep their pieces, others want to auction them off, but many want to see their art preserved in a museum, gallery or community space.“It would be nice to put some of the murals in a Black-owned museum because that money can be put directly back into the Black community,” Tavarres said.
There has been speculation about the roles that the larger local arts organizations such as the Oakland Museum of California and Oakland Art Murmur will play in the future of these protest murals. Both organizations say that they are deferring to, and working with artists, business owners, and groups such as Black Cultural Zone – a grassroots organization based in East Oakland – to coordinate the transportation and storage of the pieces. These groups are currently coordinating with local businesses and the city to find out when murals will be taken down alongside reaching out to the artists behind them.
Though Oakland is filled with over 1,000 murals and a robust street art scene, the process of collecting these recent murals requires an unprecedented level of coordination and community input.“It’s not just taking down murals and moving them to the Oakland Museum. It’s preserving them
All data is taken from the source: https://ift.tt/1AFLGzy
Article Link: https://ift.tt/2YDx46H
#oakland #tampabaynews #gillettenewsrecord #news #nytimes #cnn #newsnow
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol
- The Clifton Street Regulars Jazz Band Playing Today, Sunday, Oakland Rockridge
- Oakland Councilmember Nikki Fortunato Bas’ Heartfelt Newsletter To The Black Community
- Cryptocurrency Market Crash Based On Questionable U.S. Treasury Crackdown Rumor
- Redefine Quartet from McAlester, OK live at Oakland Full Gospel Holiness Church in Oakland, OK
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 4/18/21
- Shooting at the Gallery Art Bar in Oakland, Ca
- Oakland Police Possibly To Arrest Me For Protest – By Derrick Soo
- Oakland News Now at OaklandNewsNow.com Is The Most Advanced Active News Blog Website Ever In Oakland
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V2 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 17th
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.