Airbnb faces Marriott as a competitor; a new study says they can compete in The Sharing Economy.
CATONSVILLE, MD – Airbnb faces Marriott? Researchers from the Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon University published new research in the INFORMS journal Marketing Science which sheds new light on the impact Airbnb and similar “sharing economy” companies are having on the hospitality industry. The findings suggest that in some cases, the presence of Airbnb can help attract more demand in some markets while challenging the traditional hotel pricing strategies.
The study to be published in the May edition of the INFORMS journal Marketing Science is titled “Competitive Dynamics in the Sharing Economy: An Analysis in the Context of Airbnb and Hotels,” and is authored by researchers from Carnegie Mellon University.
The researchers focused on the entry of the flexible-capacity sharing economy platform Airbnb and studied its impact on the competitive landscape in the traditional fixed-capacity lodging industry. They examined how the sharing economy has fundamentally changed the way the hospitality industry accommodates demand fluctuations and how traditional hotels should respond.
Study authors took into account market conditions, seasonal patterns, hotel pricing and quality, consumer make-up, and the supply of Airbnb accommodations in specific markets. They also considered factors such as Airbnb’s strategy toward business travelers, government regulations on Airbnb, changes in hosting costs due to tax changes and third-party services, along with the professionalism of hosts.
“Our analysis gleaned a number of insights,” said the authors. “In the end, we arrived at four conclusions. Airbnb cannibalizes hotel sales, especially for lower end hotels. Second, Airbnb can help stabilize or even increase demand during peak travel seasons, offsetting the potential for higher hotel prices which can sometimes be a deterrent. Third, the flexible lodging capacity created by Airbnb may disrupt traditional pricing strategies in some markets, actually helping to minimize the need for seasonal pricing. And finally, as Airbnb targets business travelers, higher-end hotels are most likely to be affected.”
On the issue of cannibalization, the researchers found that in some markets where demand is more seasonal, hotel prices and quality are relatively lower, and the fraction of leisure travelers is higher, consumers can be more likely to choose Airbnb, which places competitive pricing pressure on hotels.
The impact of Airbnb on demand is driven by seasonal fluctuations of capacity. Traditionally, hotels have fixed capacity and tend to raise prices during peak seasons and lower them during off-peak seasons. But with the presence of flexible capacity from Airbnb, travelers have more options during peak seasons, forcing the market to lower seasonal pricing. Still, during off-peak seasons, as Airbnb capacity contracts, hotels may not have to lower their prices significantly. Interestingly, as capacity between Airbnb and hotels increase with demand, that expanded capacity may have the effect of attracting more travelers to a particular destination.
To date, Airbnb sales are largely derived from leisure travelers who make up 90 percent of Airbnb sales. As the company targets the business travel marketplace, the researchers found that high-end hotels are likely to be most affected, primarily due to the higher or lower operating costs faced by Airbnb hosts in their markets.
“High-end hotels benefit more from higher Airbnb host costs, but also suffer more from lower Airbnb host costs,” said the authors. “Another noteworthy finding is that the benefit of higher Airbnb host costs levels off as the costs increase, whereas the loss from lower Airbnb host costs continues to decrease as the costs decrease. This causes us to believe that imposing stricter regulations on Airbnb that raises the cost of hosting does not help hotel profitability beyond a certain point. Yet, reducing Airbnb host costs can hurt hotel profitability.”
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nba Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons- By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime