ONN – “Oakland Isn’t Oakland Anymore!” A Popular Instagram Post Blasts Gentrification
The Instagram account “WeloveOakland” posted this four days ago. It’s very sad:
2 1/2 Years Ago |
Captured and posted this March 21, 2017 from a boarded up building near MacArthur Bart that is now being built as condos / apartments.
The spelling ‘IS’NT’ correct but whoever wrote this was right most may agree.
What’s the good?
What’s the bad?
Thoughts: No joke. . . I’m thinking of cheating on Oakland with Tokyo Japan ( job offer ) – Oakland has pissed me off in many ways and now may be the time. It’s a love dislike relationship but I won’t sell my home just in case.
– Homelessness is worse than ever and it is sickening to know our governments have such little compassion for those who need true help as they provide very little aid while women and men sleep in our many tent towns. The City has provided sheds for some but is that enough? The governor has said 1 billion will go towards the states homelessness. When, how, where? It’s needed now and not in government time.
– Crime and Crime Avoidance: True we have crime but the services to aid in its relief is non existent.
– Schools: Near the bottom in the state and likely the nation as our local politicians move towards getting out of the $chool bu$isne$$ as there is not enough money in it for their corruption. That’s why Oakland is full of charter schools.
– Streets / 100 million on street repair that we all will pay for when you pay for your property taxes, or when you decide to buy you too will pay forever when we know this will be a patch job on 1/10th of the streets although we were told differently.
– Lost the Warriors, Raiders ( for good reason ), A’s are next ( see last post )
– Housing? You have to have some good karma in order to live here 💰
– Oak trees? They are never coming back
What can be done? A lot. First, bring back California Redevelopment and its 20 percent revenue set-aside for affordable housing.
Note from Oakland News Now Technical: this video-blog post shows the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Zennie Abraham is the CEO of Zennie62Media