12 Oakland Schools Offer Free Meals to Students in Need During Coronavirus Closure
OUSD Superintendent to Drop By West Oakland Middle School’s “Grab and Go” Site.
Oakland – Monday, March 16 is the first of 15 straight school days upon which all Oakland schools are shuttered to students, as the District does its part to help battle the spread of coronavirus. During this closure, students of all ages are urged to follow the advice of public health experts: practice good social distancing by staying home with family, and away from others who could spread the virus.
While schools are closed for three weeks including spring break, the needs of students remain. More than 70% of Oakland Unified School District’s students qualify for the Free and Reduced Price School Meal program, and even with schools closed, the District remains focused on ensuring students receive the food they need. 12 sites across the District will be open on Monday and Thursday mornings to serve as pick up locations for “Grab and Go” breakfasts and lunches that students can take home. The food is available free of charge to any child under 18 years old. Students and families are asked to bring bags to the sites to carry the food home. The schools open for the Grab and Go meal service are:
* Northwest/West Oakland: Sankofa Elementary, West Oakland Middle School, and Hoover Elementary
* Central Oakland: Oakland High School, and Garfield Elementary
* East Oakland: Bret Harte Middle School, Life Academy/United for Success, Coliseum College Preparatory Academy, Madison Park Upper, Fremont High School, Castlemont High School, and Elmhurst United Middle School
On Monday morning at West Oakland Middle School, Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell will visit the nutrition services staff, observe the Grab and Go process and greet students and families (maintaining good social distance). Media is invited to observe the food distribution effort. (Some students and families may not want to be photographed by the media, so please exercise discretion.)
WHAT: Grab and Go Food Distribution for OUSD Students; Superintendent Visits Site
WHEN: 8:00 a.m. – Noon (Superintendent Visits at 10:45 a.m.), Monday, March 16
WHERE: West Oakland Middle School (plus other schools listed above), 991 14th Street
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- City Of Oakland Bilingual Citywide COVID-19 Video With Mayor Libby Schaaf, OFD, OPD
- First Unitarian Church Of Oakland: Earth — Celebrate And Save It
- 755 65th St Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- Timothy Douglas, OEA Negotiator, On OEA-OUSD Oakland School Reopening Tentative Agreement Before Final
- Raiders Mark Davis Right, We’re Wrong About Derek Chauvin Verdict Tweet, Here’s Why
- Oakland Police Should March In Solidarity With Black Community Post Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Raiders “I Can Breathe” Tweet: What Was Las Vegas Thinking With That Derek Chauvin Verdict Entry?
- President Biden and Vice President Harris Address the Nation on the Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict
- Oakland Tech’s Ahmed Muhammad School’s 1st Black Male Valedictorian On Day Of Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Derek Chauvin Murder Trial Verdict Livestream Reaction Vlog After Murder Of George Floyd
- WATCH LIVE: Jury in Derek Chauvin trial expected to return a verdict
- Oakland School News: OUSD Unveil’s New Green Schoolyard In Celebration Of Earth Day
- A Shooting Has Taken Place At A Stop & Shop In West Hempstead, NY, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Look At Oakland Lake Merritt Instagram Videos Shows Fun Gathering – Are Complaints Just Racism?
- Oakland Lake Merritt Vendors Move From Lakeshore To Grand Avenue, But Racist Take Remains
- Memories of Roy Steele, Oakland A’s Announcer
- Oakland Police Chief Antioch Press Conference
- Oakland Mayor’s Town Hall Budget Summit – Guaranteed Income
- Renaming to White Supremacy Resolution
- The Sounds Of Oakland: Sideshow Season 2021 OPD Responds