Oakland and its Mayor Libby Schaaf took a major step toward construction of a new ballpark. A new baseball stadium for the Oakland A’s with the passage of AB 734 (Bonta) today in the California State Senate Environmental Committee.
The legislation, if passed by the full legislature (and that’s a certainty) will streamline the environmental review process for and exempt the payment of propety taxes to the California School System, thus paving the way for the use of tax increment financing for a new baseball stadium at the Oakland Coliseum Complex, or at Howard Terminal.
From the legislation bill text:
This bill would require a public agency, in conducting an environmental review for the Oakland Sports and Mixed-Use Project, as defined, located in the City of Oakland that is certified by the Governor as meeting certain requirements, to comply with specified procedures. The bill would require the public agency to concurrently prepare the record of proceedings and to certify the record of proceeding for the project, as provided. Because a public agency would be required to comply with those new procedures, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program. The bill would require the Judicial Council, by July 1, 2019, to adopt a rule of court establishing procedures that require actions or proceedings seeking judicial review of the certification or adoption of the environmental review document for the project pursuant to CEQA or the granting of project approvals, including any appeals therefrom, to be resolved, to the extent feasible, within 270 days of the filing of the certified record of proceedings with the court. The bill would prohibit a court form staying or enjoining the construction or operation of the Oakland Sports and Mixed-Use Project, except as provided.
This bill would make legislative findings and declarations as to the necessity of a special statute for the Oakland Sports and Mixed-Use Project.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.
This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason.
On Twitter, Oakland A’s President Dave Kaval announced the news: “Big thanks to Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and California Assemblyman Rob Bonta for their support in getting #AB734 through the State Environmental Committee. And for East Bay Senators Nancy Skinner, and Bob Wieckowski for the yes votes.”
Big Thanks to @LibbySchaaf and @RobBontaCA for their support in getting #AB734 through the State Senate Environmental Committee ??? And for East Bay Senators @NancySkinnerCA @BobWieckowskiCA for the Yes votes #leadership #RootedInoakland pic.twitter.com/nW2BcNsUZh
— Dave Kaval (@DaveKaval) June 20, 2018
Assemblyman Bonta sais “The hearing went into extra innings but we won moving forward (with) #AB734 to keep the Oakland Athletics in Oakland, and create good jobs with a new privately financed and environmentally superior ballpark! Thanks Senator Nancy Skinner, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, and A’s President Dave Kaval!
The hearing went into extra innings but we won moving forward #AB734 to keep the #Oakland @Athletics #RootedinOakland & create good jobs w/ a new privately-financed & environmentally superior ballpark! Thanks Sen. @NancySkinnerCA Mayor @LibbySchaaf and #A's President @DaveKaval pic.twitter.com/9cA25iMIxz
— Rob Bonta (@RobBontaCA) June 20, 2018
And Senator Skinner added this tweet:
Pullin a fence buster with Asm @RobBonta, Mayor @LibbySchaaf & #A's President @DaveKaval as #AB734 slides the #Oakland @Athletics into their new home base! Keeping the A's #RootedinOakland is a home run for Oakland, the East Bay and the team! pic.twitter.com/Bnh475TIE1
— Nancy Skinner (@NancySkinnerCA) June 20, 2018
Mayor Schaaf added “Happy to hit cleanup in your lineup. Today’s unanimous vote on #AB734 was a team win for all East Bay residents. I remain focused on keeping the Athletics in Oakland and in a way that’s responsible to our taxpayers and enhances neighborhood vitality.”
Happy to hit cleanup in your lineup, @OakStadiumWatch. Today’s unanimous vote on #AB734 was a team win for all East Bay residents. I remain focused on keeping the @Athletics #RootedInOakland in a way that’s responsible to our taxpayers and enhances neighborhood vitality. https://t.co/2H0dmV48Pc
— Libby Schaaf (@LibbySchaaf) June 20, 2018
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Greg Olson Be A Better Play Caller Then Jon Gruden? By Eric Pangilinan October 15, 2021
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021