Girls from Across OUSD Set to Come Together on Thursday for an Online Pre-Halloween Science Event Called Spooky Science Night
Oakland, CA — Scientific Adventures for Girls, Chabot Space & Science Center and the Aeronautics and Astronautics Department at Stanford University are co-hosting an exciting Family STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) Night for students and their families. On Thursday night, a virtual, yet hands on event called Spooky Science Night is aimed at giving girls a deeper appreciation for science with jaw-dropping science demonstrations such as blowing up marshmallow monsters in a vacuum chamber and activities including making “Dancing Ghosts” with balloons. Students from numerous OUSD elementary schools will be taking part, including Emerson, Esperanza, Hoover, Madison Park, Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary, Peralta and Sankofa United, along with girls from other school districts.
There will also be a “Dance Party Intermission” to get everyone moving. STEM Kits with activity materials will be provided prior to the event for each family. “This is a fun way for families to relax together while engaging with spooky and cool hands-on science activities,” said Courtenay Carr Heuer, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Scientific Adventures for Girls. “Family STEAM Nights provide an opportunity to normalize the idea of families doing science together. This event also empowers parents who may feel uncomfortable themselves in science or math, and educates families on STEM career opportunities.”
“We know Halloween won’t be what we all look forward to every year, but that doesn’t mean our kids can’t have fun – and learn about science – at the same time,” said Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell. “I am excited for our girls who are taking part in this great science event, and I thank Scientific Adventures for Girls, Chabot Space & Science Center and Stanford University for supporting our students. Science literacy is critical for understanding our world, and the families who will be taking part remind us it is never too late to learn.”
There are still a few spaces open. To sign up your student, click here.
WHAT: Spooky Science Night for Girls, Including Girls from OUSD Elementary Schools
WHEN: 6:30-7:30 p.m., Thursday, October 29
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 81 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Note: post based on press release from OUSD to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Cowboys vs Steelers – 2021 NFL Hall Of Fame Game NFL Draft Picks To Watch
- USS Hornet Car Show 2021, Alameda Ca, Lowriders, Bombitas, HD
- USS Hornet Car Show 2021, Alameda Ca, Lowriders, Bay Bombs CC 1941 Chevy RagTop
- Game Highlights: Oakland Roots SC vs. Phoenix Rising FC
- 4395 Piedmont Avenue Unit 307 Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com
- American Katie Nageotte goes from near-disaster to POLE VAULT GOLD | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Las Vegas Raiders All Pro Linebacker K J Wright Visit The Raiders By Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Block Of Australian Olympics Basketball Player Layup Is Best Seen Freeze Frame
- ||The ACE Kids|| Visiting Oakland Zoo! PART 1
- Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr Bryan Edwards Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden Says Receiver Bryan Edwards Is Dynamic By Eric Pangilinan
- Are San Francisco’s ‘Tiny Homes’ the future of city housing? | ITV News
- San Francisco Cable Cars Are BACK – Lombard Street / Fishermans Wharf / Pier 39 / Boudin & Much MORE
- San Francisco Giants vs Arizona Diamondbacks Highlights August 4, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021
- San Francisco Bay Area Reinstates Mask Order as Virus Surges
- What $3,488 Will Get You In San Francisco | Sweet Digs | Refinery29
- Mike McDaniel: Trey Lance Has a ‘Confident Swag’ | 49ers
- Plus Driverless Level 4 Truck on Highway Demo
- Covid Experts Send Message To Floridians Amid DeSantis Disinformation
- Worse Than Delta? Health Experts Worry About Future Variants