Chris Carson League of Women Voters President sent the following press release to Zennie62Media. After today’s testimony by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, this message is most timely.
Washington, DC – The League of Women Voters President Chris Carson issued the following statement in response to the testimony of Dr. Ford before the Senate Judiciary Committee:
“For far too long, American women and girls have been told to keep quiet after enduring violence and sexual assault. In 2018, the time has come to stop telling women to sit down and shut up.
“Today, Dr. Christine Beasley Ford’s voice was heard.
“Survivors of sexual assault rarely have the opportunity to confront their attackers, and even fewer women have to do so with the whole world watching. Instead, they suffer silently. But today a brave woman broke that silence. She took action to protect future generations of women and girls whose everyday lives will be shaped by decisions of the next Supreme Court Justice.
“Her courage can also help a future generation of young men. It’s never too early in someone’s life to learn that all people are entitled to the same dignity and respect, and that there exists no privilege that entitles someone to take that away from any other person.
“We believe her, and the League supports a full FBI investigation of these claims, which must be done given these circumstances. This is the absolute least that can be done before the Senate votes on a lifetime appointment to our highest court. This is about equity and transparency, and nothing less.
“Across this country, we are seeing a movement of women speaking up and America is listening. We will no longer let our voices be silenced to protect the same entrenched power that has worked to disenfranchise women, communities of color, and other disadvantaged populations throughout the course of our country’s history.
“Women will not be silenced a moment longer. We must do more than speak out. We have the power to change the system with our votes. We need to exercise that power on Election Day. And I believe we will.”
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Home For Sale 469 Capital St Oakland, CA 94610
- Lake Merritt Boat Adventure! Oakland, CA.
- The Oakland Roots Continue to Struggle, and Get Shutout to the LA Galaxy II
- For Tokyo Olympics Panasonic Teams With Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky, Others
- Sheng Thao District 4 Councilmember Champions Public Safety Investments for Oakland
- Naomi Osaka Upset By Marketa Vondrousova Tokyo Olympics Women’s Singles 3rd Round
- Governor Newsom Highlights New State Efforts to Encourage More Californians to Get Vaccinated
- California Will Require Vaccinations Or Covid Tests For State Employees And Health Care Workers
- RUGBY 7s TOKYO OLYMPICS Live Reaction (Not Showing Game) DAY 1
- Jade Carey powers her way into the women’s floor final | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- USA vs. Ireland | Tokyo Olympics 2020: Men’s Rugby Highlights | NBC Sports
- Japan Vs Canada | Rugby 7s | Olympics 2021 Highlights
- South Africa Vs USA Highlights | Rugby 7s | Olympics Highlights 2021
- Ireland Vs Kenya Highlights | Rugby 7s | Olympics Highlights 2021
- Argentina Vs South Korea Highlights | Rugby 7s | Olympics Highlights 2021
- New Zealand Vs Australia Highlights | Rugby 7s | Olympics Highlights 2021
- Lydia Jacoby Gets Gold Medal In Women’s 100 M Breathstroke Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Philippines Uprise In Protest Against President Rodrigo Duterte ,By Eric Pangilinan
- Barbara Boxer Former Senator Assaulted, Robbed In Oakland Jack London Square. Attacker Got Away
- Philippines Team Philippines Wins Gold For The First Time At The Olympics,By Eric Pangilinan